hi. I am newly joined to this list and this is partly a test message, and
partly an introduction. I use abc mostly to learn contradance tunes, and I
have followed rather intently the thread concerning [A4A2] notation (why?
I can't tell you, except it was fascinating, really). I don't have
anything really to add, other than to give kudos to Norbeck, Chambers, et.
al. for all their fine work developing abc and its associated programs. As
an amateur player and not a programmer, I can say abc has been a real help
to me.  I have tried many programs, and each has its own strengths. I tend
to use abc to transcribe sheet music I have or tunes I know into the
computer, and then I use Harmony to redisplay it as sheetmusic and play it
out again ( only really because it offers the best quality sound), so I
can learn the tune. To fiddle and organize the abc files I muddle about
with runabc-ex and abcmus and abcnavigator and I am just getting into
iabc, which is the first that takes an abc tune and gives the
corresponding sheet music! Alas, it cannot play tunes as well, or it would
be perfect! If I could merge these programs into one, ah, abc heaven.

The Contrapartner is a journal for art and writing inspired by
contradance.
We can be found on the web at http://contrapartner.tripod.com.
Submissions, inquiries, etc. may be sent to
mailto:contrapartner@;softhome.net