>> Is there a FAQ that discusses copyright issues?

No, and the topic tends to be sharkbait.

I just discovered the Grove encyclopaedia has quite a good discussion
of this.

>> I would like to share/trade the tunes I collect, but most come from
>> old books (not necessarily public domain).
> The rule of thumb for printed music is that the copyright lasts for 50
> years after the composer's death.

Unfortunately they stopped using thumbs as a unit of measurement some
time ago - it really is much more complicated than that.

For some material in books there is NO cutoff date.  I have been
quoted a recording licence fee for something published in the 1770s,
and as far as I can tell the demand was legit in the circumstances.

> I tried a google search but nothing obvious came up (those darned
> lawywer ;)

I once got paid to do some research on music intellectual property
issues, by someone who had the price of a small house riding on the
outcome.  Which doesn't make me a lawyer but did make me understand
why they don't come cheap.  It looked like easy money but took a
surprisingly long time.  No way would you have found the answer on
the Internet.