The definitive answer in the U.S. seems to be a http://www.mpa.org/, the
home page of the Music Publishers' Association. Copies for any reason
whatsoever are illegal. That includes photocopies, hand-copies and, by
extension, abc-copies. The small number of exceptions at the FAQ don't apply
to my situation.
     They also provide a form and look-up service for requesting permission
to create a new arrangement, etc... Although I don't remember a specific
mention of a simple transposition, their intent is clear: you must get
permission from the copyright holder.
     So, I am writing to a couple of the larger copyright holders (Hal
Leonard, Warner/Chappell and two others) to find out just what is it gonna
take in terms of time, effort and money, for a small-scale musician to do
things "the right way."
     I'll post the results here as I get answers.

--
Ed Skinner, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.flat5.net/