Hi, I felt after reading for several months I needed to add my thoughts
on several subjects. I play mostly Irish flute and Uilleann Pipes, and
have played in over 100 sessions around the US, and quite a few in
Europe. One of the things that has struck me over the years is that
often music sessions are right where you least expect them, at least
they can be hard to find. I have also found that the different folk
groups which include Bluegrass, Old Time,( they swear there is a huge
difference) Irish, Cape Breton and general folk sessions tend to be
somewhat protective. Most don't want players showing up who don't know
the three most important things about their session,
1) Know the Music
2) Know how to play and have good etiquette when playing
3) Don't ever play a different style at their session,

Irish musicians don't want to hear "Rocky Top" which is understandable
on several levels.

A friend of mine and I had put up a web site to find sessions mostly
Irish around the US, most in bars, some restaurants and books stores.
Over 200 around the US and Canada

http://www.sessioneer.com

Other Irish sessions can be found through the Comhaltas site

http://www.ccenorthamerica.org

Here in Tennessee we have 4 weekly Irish sessions, and several bluegrass
held mostly on Saturday nights in churches. You can find some Irish
Music in a Bluegrass session played in bluegrass style, but I have never
heard bluegrass at an Irish session that lasted very long. There is
plenty of opportunity around the area so they tend to be protective. I
think it stems from a fear of the Irish session drifting over to the
more dominant style and thus diluting the number of musicians.

 The second thing I wanted to comment on was some of the questions about
MIDI. Particularly the question as to why MIDI didn't have song names
and longer more easy to program words like ABC. I am an engineer and
started in the late 70's as a young engineer working for both Yamaha and
Oberheim and sat on one of the original MIDI committees. MIDI was
designed primarily to allow sequencers and specific keyboards control
other sequencers and keyboards, The syntax of the language is designed
to be a simple ASCII text code that can be sent quickly over a midi port
which by the way is an RS-232 port 8 bits plus stop and start bit
modified  so that it works over a optical current loop. The transistor
of one keyboard drives the LED of the attached keyboard and vice versa.
That was mostly my invention to get around a fight brewing between
Yamaha and Korg. In the early 1980's it migrated to IBM PC's ,Commodore
and Apple computers and soon these became the standard for sequencer and
control.

 The MIDI language and thus the syntax was meant to be simple character
codes to turn notes on and off and allow for some notes to be held while
others were quicker. It also allowed for changes in the voice ect back
when everybody had a different idea about what effects ect were
important or not.
All keyboards had different ideas as to what voice #1 was for
instance.The more standard MIDI we all are familiar with is based on one
manufacturers structure which was originally a Roland contrivance. MIDI
was never designed to be used as a programming language, even though it
has the structure of one. At the time it was to opporate at 9600 Baud
which was the fastest and most available bit rate at the time and still
talk to several keyboards and computers at the same time. Therefore MIDI
was designed to be a short language that sent the fewest characters
necessary to accomplish this job

Soap box down hope someone found it useful...

Jim Pogge