>> I'm typesetting some highland bagpipe music, and sometimes it
>> would be nice to have the bar lines aligned from one line to
>> the next.  Notes as well, if possible.
> Most books on music notation advise against aligning bars on successive
> lines of music, since it makes it harder for the player to keep the
> place when sight-reading.

Most books don't think about highland pipers' problems - the alignment
Alasdair is describing is standard in modern books.  It helps you see
where the melody notes are amid the forest of gracenotes.  The main
beats are aligned the way I do it in my ABC source.

(I have just unsubscribed as "jc" - that address won't work after today -
use "j-c" to reply.  Off to Croatia, Hungary and Slovakia in a few hours.
I'll resubscribe to abcusers under another userid when I get back).

cheers - jack