Jack Campin writes:

| I use A: for the author of the words.  This violates the 1.6 spec,
| but the "area" idea just doesn't work - you can't fit the geographic
| description of a tune into a one-liner.

Maybe we should start spreading the word that this is the best  place
to  put  this info.  With time, we can make it the de-facto standard.
And if anyone looks askance, we can tell them "Jack said it was OK."

| I use F: on my CD-ROMs to give the file:// URL of the ABC.  People
| may want to find the original of something again after copying it
| elsewhere and editing it.  (I think I may also use this for the
| http:// URLs of things I've put on the Web; if not I ought to).

I've done this on occasion.  And my Tune Finder adds it to every tune
that's  sent in ABC format.  It did take me a few tries to find a way
of dealing with the line terminators  in  a  way  to  seems  to  work
everywhere.

Which reminds me:  An interesting aspect of writing my search bot was
the  occasional  "false  positive" match with bibliographic and other
library-like data. They often contain T: and A: lines, and X:  is not
at  all  unusual for numbering entries.  I've probably mentioned this
here  before.   Actually,  I  wouldn't  complain  about  this.   I've
occasionally  wondered  if  we should make abc headers look more like
what library software expects.  Then you could use that  software  to
catalog and find abc tunes.  But I suspect that the value of this may
be rather limited.  Music isn't much  like  text.   If  it  were,  we
wouldn't be having problems with line wrapping.