On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:29:17AM +0100, Jack Campin wrote:
> > When trying to fit abcusers in a few groups having
> >  [1] abc-sightreaders (without much need for software)
> >  [2] abc-collectors
> >  [3] abc-software-only-users (1st language)
> >  [4] abc-as- interchange-file-format-users (2nd language)
> >
> > Two questions arise
> > - is this a meaningful division?
> > - if so, how large do we expect the groups to be?
> >
> > My answer to the first question is -of course- yes ;-)
> > The second is the hard one my first (wild)guess would be:
> >  1: <200  (1%)
> >  2: <500  (3%)
> >  3: >1000, <10000 (30%)
> >  4: >10000  (66%) the remainder
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I don't know what the second category means.

It seems to have come out of an idea that some people make use of the
"information" fields ... stricly speaking, I suppose it'd be anyone who
doesn't delete an ABC file once they've printed/midi'ed/whatever'ed it ?
Or, how many tunes does it take to make a "collection" ?

> The third seems a wild overestimate - surely the only program
> that does interchange to any other general-purpose score format
> in a meaningful way is Bryan's Noteworthy convertor?

There was a posting recently on uk.comp.os.linux, from someone who
wants to make a book of mixed music & text. It looks as though the
"reccomended" approach is lilypond-book, which seems to behave as
Chris' abc2mtex did - write LaTeX with blocks of music (in lilypond,
rather than abc) which get picked out and converted.

Which reminded me of abc2ly. I looked at that once and found it wouldn't
deal with large amounts of my abc ... which leads me to realise we've
never really mentioned it. But it's abc-reading software, whatever the
output (I think Laura uses it, I'm not sure how many others do).

I'm not sure if the distinction between abc-only software and
converters-toother-formats is meaningful - after all, midi, ps, png,
whatever, are other file formats, too. Surely the main point is that
all software needs to parse ABC ?

--
Richard Robinson