[solfa]
> I'll try to locate a copy of the John Curwen reference through
> Inter-Library Loan.  The local library does not have it, but it
> should be obtainable, now that I know exactly what to look for.

You are quite likely to find one second-hand someday.  I got an
extra copy a year or so ago (for only 50p) and passed it on to
somebody on the Scots-L list.  They can fetch silly prices on EBay
but there shouldn't be any need to use that.

> The local library does have a copy of the 20-volume version of
> New Grove Dictionary of Music; I'll check it tomorrow and see
> what it has to offer.

It gives a comparative description of textual musical notations
but doesn't have a full tutorial on any one of them.  Probably
not what you want.