on 7/24/03 5:25 AM, Phil Taylor wrote:
> The Carbon version of BarFly (because it has to live in a Unix
> environment) can open untyped files provided that they have a .abc
> or .txt extension, but you won't be able to run that under
> BasiliskII.

But there is hope, even in Unix.  You can set file type and creator using
Mac OS X Terminal, if you have installed Apple's Developer Tools.

Type this to find out the file's Type and Creator.

/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo /Users/thomaskeays/Desktop/McLennan.abc

file: "/Users/thomaskeays/Desktop/McLennan.abc"
type: "TEXT"
creator: ""
attributes: avbstclinmed
created: 09/17/2001 18:56:58
modified: 09/17/2001 18:56:58

Note this file, because I downloaded it, doesn't have a creator associated
with it.  Do this

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -c Bfly -t TEXT
/Users/thomaskeays/Desktop/McLennan.abc

where Bfly is the creator designator for BarFly.

Run the previous command

/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo /Users/thomaskeays/Desktop/McLennan.abc

file: "/Users/thomaskeays/Desktop/McLennan.abc"
type: "TEXT"
creator: "Bfly"
attributes: avbstclinmed
created: 09/17/2001 18:56:58