On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:32:03PM +0100, Phil Taylor wrote:
> Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> >It runs into a much more general question, actually - if you re-order
> >tunes in an ABc file, how do you handle any interposed non-ABC text,
> >where should it go ? I don't think there's a clean answer to this.
>
> I think you are right.  BarFly doesn't re-order the original file though,
> it just pulls the tunes out for printing in the specified order, ignoring
> the interstitial text.  You can always read the text, and if you want you
> can print the contents of the file as text.  Since BarFly's editor can
> handle embedded pictures, I could also at some point add a command which
> would replace the abc tunes with pictures, leaving the interstitial text
> between them.  Printing that would be a nightmare though.
>
> On the whole though I think that forced pagebreaks and other such printing
> options are better handled outside of the abc in my case.  Perhaps I could
> add a symbol to the index to indicate that this tune should start a new page.
> If the index was sorted differently that tune would still carry the mark,
> so it would be obvious to the user.

Yes. This is the point at which an ABC GUI has to shift onto an entirely
different level - it moves from being a tune editor/interface into
becoming an entire page-layout scheme, which is a whole separate issue.

<usual rant>
I really _wish_ the layout/typesetting command could have been marked,
with, eg "%%abc2ps newpage", in the same way as the original midi ones
were. It might have at least made issues like this easier to think
about.
</usual rant>

I've played around with trying to build GUIs for this (don't hold your
breath - nothing likely to be fit to use, or even look at, for a long
time. Anybody got any favourite perl/gui toolkits ?), and the only
approach that works for me (that I've been able to think of so far)
is very like what you describe - a "layout" mode, with interstitial text
(good phrase) displayed and editable and the tunes presented as some kind
of "link" (title, picture, whatever) to an editing interface on that tune
(and a facility to print/postscript the whole thing by passing it
through abcm2ps, or some such external), and a separate "database" mode -
just list the tunes, with searching & sorting & filtering and so on,
where you can print each tune individually or select them somehow for
adding into a "page-layout".

The 2 situations, tune and page, have to be kept separate somehow,
it seems to me, they're on different levels.

--
Richard Robinson