A bit more information.  I tried the tune on a different machine.
It worked fine.  Even more mysterious though, abcm2ps hung on the
_next_ tune in the same file.  I tried some more things:

* It doesn't matter whether the file has Mac, Unix or PC style line ends.
* Commenting out the offending line in the tune fixes the problem.
* Removing one bar of music anywhere from that line also works.

Finally, I discovered that changing the scale factor from the default
0.75 to 0.7 did the trick.  Presumably that allows an extra note or
two per line, avoiding the Line Overfull problem.

Phil Taylor