Flushed with my recent success at posting a question to the user list -
even though I had no idea that I had actually done so, her is my first real
question, which I first put to the discussion section of "The Session", but
only had one suggestion from James Devlin, which seems very labourious
method

Does anyone know a way of automating the process somehow ?
Any help would be appreciated
Derek Bone (alias 'Enob')

abc - sorting tunes
Sorry to put in yet another thread on abc's but I can't seem to find this
out anywhere else !
Does anyone know how to sort an abc tunefile into alphabetical order - I
have built up one large tune file which is in tune number order and want to
permanently change it into alphabetical order, and periodically re-sort it
when I have added some new tunes - I can sort the file in ABC2Win but when I
save the new file it reverts to the original 'as-input' order. I can't seem
to do it in abcmus so I'm struggling. The problem is that having got the
tune file I now can't quickly find the tune I need (I want to use it in
Palmabc which needs all the tunes in one file)
It has to be done in one file to allow Palm synchronisation to work easily
Any help would be appreciated
Posted on July 27th 2003 by Enob

Re: abc - sorting tunes
Approach this another way.
You can manualy sort the files alphabetically, by hand, and use ABC Tools to
re-number the abc records within the file.
Same result - you just have to add subsequent tunes in the right place in
the file and run ABC Tools again.
Note the re-numbered file goes into the results window.
James
Posted on July 27th 2003 by James Devlin

Re: abc - sorting tunes
Thanks for your suggestions - this is basically what I have been doing until
now, but sorting the files manually is not a sensible option where you have
hundreds (or thousands) of abc's in the file, (it would take hours) and also
when you want to merge in a smaller file, it is not very helpful doing it
one tune at a time - I find abcmus is the bestplace to do this manual
operation, but although, as you say, it gives the same result, it will take
for ever - surely there must be a way to sort the tunes within the file and
then renumber, which would then take seconds
I want to put all the tunes in one file so that I can have them available on
the palm at any time - anyone else have any ideas
Posted on July 29th 2003 by Enob