Jean-Francois Moine said:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:29:05 -0700 (MST), "Tom Satter" wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>(&  - start a voice overlay
>>&&  - reset time back to previous start point
>>&)  - end a voice overlay
>
> abcm2ps has '(&...&...)', but there is a parsing problem on the
> closing parenthesis. Now, in the absolute, the end of voice overlay
> could be ommited: overlaying stops when time is exhausted!
>
> Otherwise, there is no ambiguity having a single '&' for reset,
> and this forbids mixing the 2 overlay types.

The reason that I chose '(&' for start and '&)' for end is that they
are not ambiguous - it makes no sense to see a single '&' immediately
at the beginning or end of a slur.  It does make sense to see a single
'&' just before a slur that that is why I did not pick '&(' for the
opening start token.

Having a single '&' mean "reset to last '(&' if given or to last
barline if not" would make sense to me.

tom

--
tom satter - or just plain old tom