Do the following:

1. Get Casey Fleser's FKEY "ClipFiler" (I used version 1.3).
2. Open one of the supplied FKEYs (I used number 7) with ResEdit.
3. Open the "kinf" resource and change the string "ttxt" to "Bfly".
4. Open the "FKEY" resource and change the string
   "------------------------------------ clip ------------------------------------"
   "% ---------------------------------- clip ------------------------------------"
5. In the same resource, change the string "Clippings" to "ABC Clips".
6. Drop it into your Fonts folder.

What this gives you is the ability to select an ABC tune from a mailing
list like this one, hit apple-shift-7, and get the tune appended to a
text file belonging to BarFly on your desktop called "ABC Clips", with
an ABC-comment separator line after it.  Which is about the easiest way
imaginable to maintain a commonplace book of tunes.

I've been using this FKEY for years to keep a BBEdit scrapbook named as
per the default, "Clippings" (for historical reasons, number 8).  It only
just occurred to me that I could easily maintain two commonplace books,
separating the tunes out as I saw them.

Works on versions of MacOS from 7.1 to 9.1.  God knows what happens on
OS X, I don't have it.  I suspect it will work on systems as far back
as 3.2, since FKEYs appeared around then (though I doubt if you could
run either a mail application or BarFly on a Mac that old...).

I can send a preconfigured FKEY to anyone who likes the idea better
than they like the prospect of ResEdit hacking.  (Do not change the
lengths of the strings when editing them or your Mac will explode into
droplets of green slime).