Jack Campin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
||| Actually, this isn't a rule at all.   Music  printers  routinely
||| put
||| white and black note heads on the same stem.
|| I quote Gardner Read "Music Notation" page 69 "Intervals (involving
|| two note heads) or chords (three or more note heads) may use a single
|| stem to join all the notes as a unit provided they are of equal
|| value".
|
| 18th century music printers and 20th century editors of guitar music
| followed no such rule.

Just because some people don't follow a rule correctly doesn't mean that it
doesn't apply.
Whether that rule be in the rudiments of music or in the English language, a
rule is a rule and still should be applied.
Judging by the quality of some printed music, not all music publishers
follow the rules correctly. The result, of course, is confusion.
It is perfectly correct to write any number of notes on a stave, at any
intervals, which begin at the same time and have the same duration to share
the same stem. If a music software program fails in this respect, then that
is a deficiency in the music software and not in the rules of music.

|| Just how would you indicate a crotchet (quarter) note starting at the
|| same time as a quaver (8th) on the same stem?
|
| Usually you don't.  That wasn't what the original suggestion was.
| With
| minims and quavers there's no ambiguity.

The easiest and most common way to represent this, though not the only way,
while keeping within the rules is to show the interval or chord as a quaver
with the crotchet represented by a 'hanging' note - ie: by using a second
quaver for that note tied to the first, so that the note involved is written
as two tied quavers but is played and sounds as a crotchet. This can often
be seen in music written for instruments which are normally played
polyphonically - Piano, Organ, Harpsichord, Guitar or Lute.
Kevin.
   <snip>