> I'd like to propose a variant (to be signaled by a flag, say V:-, in the
> header) where whitespace within a measure becomes the delimiter for
> beats.
>
> %Example 1
> M:2/4
> V:-
> | ab abcd |
>
> GROUPING, CONTINUATION and SUBDIVISION
> The above measure represents a group of 2 eighth-notes, ab, followed a
> group of 4 sixteenth notes.
>
> In this scheme, the dash or minus-sign would represent a continuation
> of the preceding pitch.

That's similar to what Curwen sol-fa does, except that sol-fa uses
proportional spacing to provide a visual backup for its implicit
coding of note length.  You would be better served by having a
translator from ABC to that than by inventing a third notation that
wasn't quite as good as either of those existing ones.

(I'm sure somebody somewhere has invented an ASCII representation for
solfa - not much point in a human using it directly, as solfa uses
kerning and non-ASCII characters to useful effect, but such a thing
might make a better target for a translator).