Programs which actually make use of, and play, the chord names which are supposed to be in the quotes, wouldn't like this.

John Chambers wrote:

Geoff Loker wrote:
| I have a song that has one ending to it for the first two verses, and a
| different
| ending for the last two verses.  What I would like to do is something
| akin to
| this:

|     [1,2 D>E D4 C2 ||[3,4 D>E F2 z2 z2 ||

| in a similar fashion to the first and second repeat notation, but with
| the first
| ending being labeled "1,2" to indicate that it is used the first two
| times through,
| and the second ending being labeled "3,4".  Unfortunately, this doesn't
| appear to
| be kosher ABC.  Any suggestions as to how to do this?

Actually, this was decreed kosher by  popular  demand  several  years
ago,  and  it  has been implemented by a number of abc tools (but not
all of them).  You can use hyphens, too, to write something like

| ... [1-3 D>E D4 C2 :|[4 D>E F2 z2 z2 ||

Maybe we could get a poll of which abc tools implement this?

My abc2ps clone (jcabc2ps) implements it.  I also implemented general
text for endings, but to avoid ambiguity, quotes are required:

| ... [1-3 D>E D4 C2 :|["last time" D>E F2 z2 z2 |]

There wasn't as general agreement on this, but I've found  it  useful
in a few cases. The parse code that I wrote allows the quotes and the
[ to be omitted if the repeat text consists solely of digits,  commas
and hyphens.

It is common for printers to put periods after  the  number  in  this
repeat  text,  but  I  found  that  that produced a difficult parsing
ambiguity with the dot commonly used for staccatto, so  I  didn't  do
that.   (You can use the full ["..." notation if you really want that
final dot.)