On 24 Jul 2004, at 20:58, Christian M. Cepel wrote:

For those of you who every so often like to get off into a session of mutual back patting as you trash America... perhaps you should join a list for such.

Have I missed something? I've noticed the RIAA coming in for a bashing, and more generally the commercial music business. Maybe we said some bad things about Microsoft, or even the bunch of politicians currently running things in Washington, but they're all fair game. Nothing to trigger such a paroxysm of defensive patriotism. It's rather touching actually. I'm glad you love your country Christian; you can feel good about that, because there's a lot to love about it.

That kind of patriotism started to go out of favour over here after the first world war, when "My Country Right or Wrong" began to take on a hollow ring. Your message made me wonder if I could stand up in public and say "I love the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Not with a straight face I think. I could sing "The Bonny Bunch of Roses" (or post the abc in this case). As far as I'm concerned, it's the people I love, the way of life they have created, and to a much lesser extent the institutions, laws and customs which hold it all together. And I suppose if push came to shove I'd be prepared to die to defend it all, and think my life well spent.

But if you want to have a bash at Tony Blair, the Church of England or the Performing Rights Society please feel free. I may or may not take issue with you. Either way it won't ruffle my patriotic feathers.

Phil Taylor