Steven Bennett wrote:

| I believe I decided that T: was a valid title field as well -- some pieces
| simply don't have a title.

Yes; I have a number of examples where I don't want a title.   Mostly
they're musical fragments, or things like a blank manuscript page.

OTOH, one thing my Tune Finder has run across is ABC files that  lack
a  title  because  they  are incorporated in some fashion inside HTML
files, and the title is in the HTML.  This  is  frustrating,  because
it's nearly impossible for software to discover the title.  These are
mostly songs, it turns out, and they aren't in my index.

One example is  the  collection  at  natura.di.uminho.pt,  where  the
latest run of my search bot says all the titles just disappeared. I'd
known this was a problem with that site, which has hundreds  of  trad
Portuguese  songs  in ABC.  My index showed 72 tunes in 43 files, but
only 32 had titles.  This time, the file and tune counts  dropped  by
one,  but  the title count dropped to zero.  I checked, and the tunes
are still there, but the T lines are all just "T:".  If you  look  at
the  site,  you'll see the tunes as GIF images and ABC, but the title
is in a different font because it's in the HTML only. I've considered
writing  special  code  to  deal with several sites like this, but it
wouldn't be easy.

I don't care if my blank manuscript  pages  aren't  indexed,  because
there's no music there. Of course, if someone is specifically looking
for ABC files that give blank manuscript pages, they  won't  find  it
from my Tune Finder.  But so far I don't consider that a problem.

| Maybe we should add a few comments in the ABC 2.0 spec that discusses what
| the behavior of a blank field line should be.  That way we don't get a
| zillion different behaviors.

Yes, this is useful. I do a fair amount of programming in perl, which
is  often  very sketchy because most of the language has defaults and
can be omitted for the most common case.  This works pretty well  for
perl.   Part  of  the  reason  is  that the defaults have been fairly
thoroughly discussed in the comp.lang.perl newsgroup,  and  the  user
population generally agrees on what the default should be. Whether we
could get this sort of agreement from musicians isn't as  clear.   In
conventional  staff  notation, a lot of things are often omitted, but
what is omitted differs for different musical styles.  I can think of
a  number  of examples where the best default for omitted notation is
different in different styles.

| > This does remind me that I've got a few funny questions about  why  I
| > sometimes  do  things  like  putting "K:G" at the start of a tune and
| > then "K:Em" or "K:Ador" before a later phrase.
| > to be very convincing.
|
| Until recently, I would have found such fields confusing as well.  But
| having recently absorbed a lot of chord theory, it becomes almost necessary
| to have such fields where the key actually does change, because the chord
| progressions for "K:G" and "K:Em" are different, even though the key
| notation looks the same on the staff.
|
| That's also why I now prefer to display the key as a text string above the
| staff in addition to the on-the-staff notation.

Yeah, and you see that sometimes in classical music,  though  usually
they  let  you  figure  out the key change yourself.  It's especially
useful in computerized notation, because it lets  the  computer  help
you  by  doing searches for keys, suggesting chords as a few abc apps
do, and so on.  Of course, its usefulness is limited,  as  you  don't
want to bother notating key changes that are only for a few measures.

An interesting case where I don't indicate key changes much is in  my
klezmer collection. You might think that it would be useful, in light
of all the different scales and frequent key changes.   But  frequent
key  changes  is  the  reason  it's  not useful.  Klezmer music often
changes rapidly among a number  of  closely-related  keys,  and  once
you're familiar with this, the changes are pretty obvious.  But a key
change every 2 or 3 measures rapidly gets obnoxious.  So I just  pick
most common (or initial or final) key, and use that.

Irish/Scottish music is different.   Some  tunes  do  have  transient
changes  to  another  key.   But more common is to have the different
sections of a tune in different keys.  I prefer to notate this,  even
if it's the same signature.  That way, if I'm looking for an Em tune,
I also get the tunes in G/Em (or maybe D/Edor).  Sometimes  I  decide
that one of those tunes will work in the set I'm putting together.