Hello all,

I'm a composer, but new to this group. I think abcm2ps and friends are/is a
neat little application, and for it's size produces remarkably flexible and
attractive output.

One thing that is a minor irritation though---I would prefer to not have to
use uppercase letters for pitch at all. That is, I think it would both be
easier to type, and more logical to have middle 'c' be spelled 'c' instead of
'C', and "c above middle c" be " c' ". In summary, the octaves might look
like this:

" c,, c, c c' c'' "

Has anyone ever entertained this before? Do you agree/disagree?

This pitch syntax would be consistent with Lilypond, which I think is very
logical and nice on this issue, but much harder to use for most tasks (I
prefer by far abc syntax, and it would be great to see abc be able to do
flexible things that lilypond now does, like Schenker grpahs, as explained in
this month's 'Linux Journal')

I think I've located the code that could be modified in the abcparser.c
file....could anyone who is interested and knowledgable about the parser code
respond to confirm that we could change the functioning of the code farily
easily, using the "all_notes" array in the code, and the "pit" variable,
etc., perhaps adding a command line option for people who prefer this newer
syntax?

Sorry if this is an old idea, I couldn't Google for it...;)

Cheers,
Aaron.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/mjFolB/TM