(The CSS2 spec. suggests
that it is possible to fix this, but I haven't figured that out so far.)
Late to the party here, but FWIW the functionality needed to make lists show up the way they do in Abi (counters) was removed in CSS2.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html#q81

Opera is the only browser I know of that supports this, and I think that the others are waiting to see what happens in CSS3.

Without counters, the only way to override this behavior is to set the li tags in question to display:block-level and script in the numbers with javascript.

Probably not worth implementing with counters (as suggested in the CSS2 spec) or with javascript, though.

-paul