Hi,

Le 19/06/2024 à 09:12, Michael Weghorn a écrit :
On 2024-06-19 08:48, Michael Weghorn wrote:
On 2024-06-18 14:38, Jason J.G. White wrote:
Orca does however announce the accessible *name* (not the description by default, at least in my setup) when using the "To Next Frame" shortcut Shift+F4 to select the image.

Whether or not the accessible description is announced by Orca is generally configurable in Orca's settings. But it turns out that even when announcing descriptions is enabled in Orca, the description is not announced for objects in LibreOffice.

It turns out that this was explicitly disabled in Orca for LibreOffice (except for "WhereAmI" mode) in the past, in this commit: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca/-/ commit/1121a27b10b4b5804c90f616154514cdce30d246

If I remove that locally for testing, Orca does announce the image description as well when the image gets focus via Shift+F4.

Ok but the problem is that in order to do shift-f4, I need to be aware that I am on a picture. ANd if I just press the arrow key to examine the doc, I dont have any feedback. It means that if I want to get something, I need to use the browser, then enter. But it is very heavy depending of the situation. I guess LO does not send to Orca something during the arrow navigation, with which Orca can see any picture.

If it's desirable to have descriptions announced, eliminating the unnecessary "chattiness" observed in the past (if it's still known what that is) and then changing Orca to announce descriptions again might be a way forward.

Again, the solution is really not perfect. I needed to analyse 2 days ago a 40 pages docs, I can say that using the browser to see images then trying tetting something is heavy. My hope is that arrow keys announce images, regardless their alternative text or not.

Best regards,

@joanie: Any thoughts on that?