-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Subramani L
Sent: Friday, 30 June 2006 10:10 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] RE caution for all VH

        Dear Kiran and other list members:

I'm obliged to inform you something very important, which, though not a
part of the regular topic, is something all VH people must know.

I would like to share a very bitter experience that may have caused
damage to my career and would like to caution you all.

Some days ago,  a journalist from a different publication met me on the
pretext of learning about how technology can help in improving
accessibility in Banking for the VH. I spoke to him with the intention
of educating him and create more awareness on how the VH can work
independently with the help of technology. But, the journalist, against
all the rules of newspaper, quoted my name without my knowledge and had
published a wrong information (as if I had complained to him about the
bank in which I have salary a/c). He has also taken a photograph of me
through his camera phone without my knowledge and has published it also.
This has caused me great embarrassment for me and I have been constantly
asked by my colleagues why I gave out news to another organisation.

As someone working for a media organisation, I am bound by the rule that
I shouldn't go and distribute news to other media organisations. In this
case, I thought that I was merely contributing to the knowledge of a
fellow journalist which can by and large help the community. But, this
has caused considerable damage to my reputation and am struggling to
salvage it.

Kiran, I understand this journalist (A Vishnu of Mid Day) also
approached you with an intention of getting info. Pl don't entertainhim.
I also request all VH to remain cautious while talking to the media. Pl
ensure that you speak the right thing and ensure you are not
photographed without your knowledge. If this happens, pl don't hesitate
to take legal action against the person concerned.

In general, certain media organisations are bent on sensationalizing
problems we go through. Kindly identify their motives by questioning
them thoroughly before giving out information.

L. Subramani