Hi Sudhir,

I am not sure about the development cycle at Texas Instruments. But
there is a small point to clarify here. Texas Instruments does not
manufacture cell phones for the retail market. They only manufacture the
chips that are used by a lot of companies like Motorola and other retail
manufacturers. What this essentially means is that although TI provides
the technology to embed speech synthesis in the chips that the retail
manufacturers buy from them, there is no guarantee that the retail
manufacturers will actually activate these additional capabilities of
the chips. Of course, it is a different story if the features are
activated by default and the retail manufacturers are forced to provide
them to the users. But this rarely happens because of the corporate
considerations. Additionally, there is also the cost factor if any. What
additional price would TI charge (if any) for a chip with speech
capabilities. But I am sure this is a step in the right direction and
there may be a cheaper alternative for the costly combo of a smart phone
and the Talks or Mobile Speak software.

When it comes to the feature set itself, these chips are aimed at the
low end market. The phones themselves will not have many features apart
from basic voice calling and text messaging capabilities. I cannot
really guess the level of accessibility that a speech enabled chip will
provide to the phone functions because the software or firmware on the
phone is again designed by the retail manufacturer or a third party
vendor. But for your information, there are phones in the United States
which work on the CDMA technology and offer basic speech capabilities.
They read caller ID info as well as in some models, the first level of
menus and important info like signal strength and battery level. For
dialing a number, you can use the voice dialing feature. There is no
direct access to the phone book, calendar, tasks, alarm clock and a
number of other third party applications we take for granted on the
Smart Phones like the 6600.

Smart Phones are a totally different technology, They have operating
systems on which you can install a number of third party applications.
Screen readers like Talks or Mobile Speak are also third party
applications. This is a very powerful platform which offers a lot of
opportunities in terms of scalability. A number of users who purchased
Smart Phones initially thinking that they would only need voice calling
and text messaging. However, we started using them for a lot of other
purposes, playing music or listening to books, using them for knowing
our rough location, keeping appointments and so on.

I am not supporting the Smart Phones or anything like that but jut
telling you the differences...

Regards,
Kiran.