Hi Sudhir,

A) It is not at all a good idea to buy a second hand laptop. The wear
and tear  on these units is much higher than a desktop. It is quite hard
to find a second hand laptop in perfect working order. The battery will
be discharging soon, there may be overheating problems and so on. Above
all, laptop spares are extremely costly. It is also difficult to find
out the problems of a second hand laptop by looking at it for a few
minutes.

B) I can give you a couple of contacts. Both of them are my good
friends. They will help her certainly.

C) Use the laptop for 3 or 4 days and see if it suits your purpose and
if there are any problems. Things to look out are:
1. Battery backup (if at all the battery is working).
2. Problems like switching off or slowing down considerably after long
hours of use due to overheating.
3. Checking for any illegal operation errors which may indicate a
defective RAM.
4. Checking to see if the peripheral devices like modems, ethernet cards
and so on are working correctly.
5. Checking for any physical damages or likely soft spots. This may
include hinges of the monitor, keyboard, etc.
6. Checking to see if the optical drives like CD ROM or Cd Writer are
working correctly.

I would still advise against going for a second hand laptop. It is too
risky in my opinion. Also so called experts who sell these laptops do
not really understand our needs. For most people, laptop is still a show
off.

Regards,
Kiran.