Hi George,

I have experience with at least 5 braille displays, and have tried to
summarized it below. most of these devices have bluetooth, to use them with
your PC, you would need bluetooth dongle. However my observation is that
braille displays can not be used for faster access to information, but they
do allow you to work without speech which might create interference in some
environments like meetings. also they can be useful if you are tired of
speech.

1. EasyLink12: by it's name we can make out that it is a 12 cell display
targeted to cell phones and PDAs. It does not have in built note taker, but
has braille keys and other keys to aid in navigation. Braille keys can be
used to enter text using braille and the text should appear on screen as
usual. But I have not been able to use it with desktop software, only used
it with PDAs.

2. Connie: A braille display from Baum is 12 cell very thin device, which
also has braille keys, navigation  keys, and other keys. I have yet not seen
a braille display smaller than this one with so many keys. it also has
bluetooth. Braille keys can be used to enter text using braille and the text
will appear on screen as usual. The device is very small to be nicely fitted
in your pocket. But it's keys are so small that one may not be able to enter
text at a good rate.

3. Pocketvario: this is a very sturdy 24 cell display from Baum, it has
everything what connie has but it does not have braille keys so one can not
enter text.

4. Braillino: it is a 20 cell display with in built note  taker. This also
has bluetooth option and can be used with your cell phone if the phone has
bluetooth. but if you want to connect it with PC, you have options to
connect via serial port or may have to get a bluetooth dongle. It has 8 keys
to enter 8 dot braille. it's design is urgonomic, i.e. it has concaved keys
and concaved braille cells (I have only seen concaved cells in this device).

5. Alva: when I saw the device some 2 years ago, it did not have bluetooth
and has no in built note taker. but it had 44 cells and could be placed
beneath your laptop. It did not have braille keys for entering the text. the
display was too big if I compare it with the recent ones.

Regards
Dinesh