Perseverance helps Unnamalai get a break in life

Karthik Madhavan

Unnamalai breaking cottonseeds at the Gandhi Ashram in Tiruchengode - Photo:
M. Govarthan

TIRUCHENGODE: Unnamalai has no idea how she looks. Nor is she aware of her
age.

Born visually challenged at Pudupalayam, about 10 km from here, she was
cared for by her brothers. Years later, when they moved out in search of
employment,

she was left in the care of her ailing mother.

She had lost her father early in life.

Recalls Unnamalai, who was left to fend for herself and her mother: "There
was utter poverty in my house 23 years ago. We were unsure where the next
meal

would come from. I wanted to work but could not find employment."

Today, she is better off, taking care of her needs, thanks to the Gandhi
Ashram-Tiruchengodu.

She earns Rs. 1,000 a month and gets a sari free for Deepavali.

Turning point

Her better days began when she visited the Ashram 23 years ago. She had got
to know about the Ashram from her neighbours, who were working there. "... I

met Aravamudhan sir with a request for a job," recalls Unnamalai.

The then Secretary of the Ashram and now Honorary Trustee, S. Aravamudhan,
says: "She wanted to pack matches. But I did agree because in the event of a

fire she would not have been be able to respond immediately." He gave the
matter a thought for a few days before entrusting her with the task of
breaking

cottonseeds (ilavamkaai).

"We had started procuring seeds directly from the farmers and were looking
for people to break these. She fitted in well and we gave her a wooden
hammer

to ensure she did not hurt herself," says Mr. Aravamudhan.

Special efforts

Unnamalai then earned a paisa for two seeds and earned Rs. 5 a day. Today,
she gets Rs. 2.50 for a kg, 50 paise more than her colleagues.

Work round the year

The Ashram ensures she gets work round the year. "Even during off season, we
ensure adequate stock to give her work," says Mr. Aravamudhan.

Unnamalai has led a comfortable life for 23 years, thanks to the Ashram and
its adherence to the Gandhian way of fostering rural economy.

Shadab Husain Mo.9335206224