Hi Vidya,

Security dialog is to inform you about secure or non secure web pages. when
you transition from a secure page to a non secure or vice versa, the dialog
pops up to inform you the status.

You can also figure out if the page is secure or not by looking at the web
address. if it has http: then it is not secure, but if it has https: then it
is secure.

In a secure page, the information that you enter on the page is sent to the
web site after encrypting it. The web site receiving the encrypted
information then decrypt the information. The algorithm (RSA algorithm named
with initial letters of three of it's inventors) uses pair of keys, out of
which one key is public and the other is private.
The web site sends the public key to your browser , but no one other than
the web site knows the private key (that's why it is private. Any one who
knows the public key can encrypt the information, but without the private
key no one can decrypt the information.

private key how ever is not totally secure, given enough computing power, it
can be deciphered. But the computing power available commonly is not enough
to decrypt 128 bit or higher. it is shown by many researchers (using super
computers) that up to 140 bits can be decrypted, (exact number may differ)
as
it's been some time for me when I had last updated my knowledge. the time it
takes to decipher a key, grows exponentially, i.e. if it takes to decrypt a
key an hour, it will take 2 hours to decrypt the same key with one more bit
added to it. If you have read about the story where a king is happy and
promises a guy to give what ever he wants, and the guy says give me 1 grain
on the first cell of the chess, 2 on second and 4 on third, double the
amount with each cell, and later they figure out that pretty soon they ran
out of the whole grain supply of the state. that's how exponential growth
works.

The same technology is used by digital signature, but the process is
reversed. anything that one wants to sign, is encrypted using the private
key and your public key is used to decrypt the information. now the problem.
how will someone verify that actually you signed the document? since your
private key is not available to anyone. There comes a hierarchical system of
maintaining private keys, where each entity stores the keys, and the final
private key is with verisign, who maintains it somewhere in USA and the
facility is guarded like  nuclear facilities. When we get digital signature,
we get our private key which we should preserve with utmost care, and the
issuing agency saves our private key by encrypting it with their public key,
and their own private key stays with their issuing agency. and they do not
have access to their own private key, so they generate our public key before
encrypting our private key, as they will not be able to decrypt our private
key then onwards. So if you want to verify that some public key is actually
the public key of the entity who claims so, you send that public key to the
verification agency, who maintains the private key and the public key, they
match your public key with the public key that they have, and tell you the
status.

Digital certificates maintain all the information required to identify an
entity. But we don't have to do all the above ourselves, mostly the software
that we use do all the activity behind the seen.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards
Dinesh