many many thanks for wonderful information.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vishal M Jain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: [AI] First blind women Chartard Accountant

Hello everybody,

You will be amazed by looking at the achievement of one of our group member
Rajani Gopal who is the first women Chartered Accountant.

WOMEN IN ACCOUNTANCY

Failures are footsteps to success, says a woman

who beat blindness to become a CA

A visually impaired CA. G Rajani is one of those rare courageous women who
have defied all odds to pursue the CA Course and ultimately succeeded in

becoming a professional. Employed in a good position, she shares with the CA
fraternity and all those

aspiring to become professionals the challenges she faced in coming up in
life.

developed Steven Johnson Syndrome due

to medical negligence at the age of 9. As the

deterioration of

vision was gradual, I

was able to complete

my graduation,

articleship training and

Intermediate CA with

limited vision. After I

lost my vision in 1994,

I had to look for an

alternative mode of

studying to pursue the

course. Coupled with

my father's sickness,

I had to fight a battle

CA. G. Rajani

vision. Similarly it was all the more difficult to

get volunteers for reading or scanning after I

ultimately lost my vision.

But I was lucky enough

to get in touch with few

likeminded people who

volunteered to provide

assistance despite

their busy schedules.

When I cleared the

final examination, I

was overjoyed and

overtaken by a great

sense of fulfilment. All

my struggles and efforts

had been suitably

on physical, emotional

and mental fronts. I started practising Sahaja

Yoga meditation, which gave the confidence and

overall balance to come out of the trauma.

My urge to pursue the course became stronger,

once I learnt to work on computers using screen

reading software. The Institute was kind enough

to provide the study materials in soft copy. For

subjects like tax, I scanned the texts to convert

the same to soft copy. For subjects like costing, I

had to take the assistance of volunteers. I took up

the Final examination and cleared it in November

2002, by availing of the scribe facility. The Institute

also granted me extra time as per Regulations,

which helped me a lot.

Of course I did come across lots of difficulties

in pursuing education. I was not able to study

continuously due to pain and itching in the

eyes, outflow of tears and fast deterioration in

rewarded.

The next struggle was to get into a career in

tune with my qualification. It took me almost 33

months after clearing the final examination to

get the necessary breakthrough. Thanks to the

placement cell of the Institute, because of which I

was able to get the breakthrough.

I wish to share few facts with the readers.

Due to development in technology, support of

volunteers and broader outlook from educational

institutions, I feel that physical challenge is no

more a handicap to pursue our studies. There are

many areas in the field of accountancy, which

to a large extent can be handled by the visually

challenged, with the help of computers. Thanks

are also due to employers who take the bold step

of providing an opportunity for people like us.

I feel that since there is no concession

whatsoever in the examination pattern, it gives

Note: Members/ Readers are invited to contribute write- ups and relevant and
interesting piece of information for this feature.

Women members are welcome to share their experiences, achievements, or
thoughts through this column.

252 The Chartered Accountant August 2006

WOMEN IN ACCOUNTANCY

a great sense of fulfilment to qualify as a CA just

like a normal person. I would highly appreciate

if the Institute provides materials in soft copy,

especially for subjects like tax, since it requires a

lot of time to scan the materials. It would also be

great if members or aspiring professionals like us

can get the updates on the latest developments

in soft copy or in recorded audio form. Since the

avenue is now open, I am sure many visually

challenged will take up this prestigious course in

future. I hope that the Institute will assist these

students not only in their studies but also in their

career. I have noticed that it is very difficult to

market our candidature at the individual level, but

at the Institute level it can be done pretty easily.

The institute could encourage its members not

only to volunteer in helping people who have to

put in a struggle like me but also help in meeting

prospective employees and getting them placed.

The outreach of the Institute being what it is, this

could be easily incorporated.

There were a lot of hurdles and failures both in

my education and career. But I was persistent. With

some support I found avenues opening up for me.

Failures become footsteps to success when there

is perseverance, commitment, determination,

sincerity of purpose and accepting the situation

we are put into.

Regards,
Vishal Jain
Ph : 080-41140564