From: "Suhas Karnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 10:23 PM
Subject: [AI] leading ladies

> hello friends,
>             it is a pride moment for all of us as
one of our list members
> has been featured in the august issue of savy
magzine along with celebrity
> women of our time.
>             please find below the entire article.
>
> LEADING LADIES
> Freedom
> yatra
>
> Taking off from Rabindranath Tagore'-s poem 'Where
The Mind Is Without
> Fear', Sumita Chakraborty picks the ladies who best
symbolise these
classic
> verses.
>
> Burma's democracy icon and Nobel peace prize
laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi,
has
> been under house arrest for the past 17 years. But
she refuses to be cowed
> down and continues the fight for freedom from
dictatorship. Incidentally,
> this brave lady was given an offer of freedom this
year if she left the
> country for good, but she declined it by saying,
"Let my countrymen be
free
> first,"
>
> WHERE the mind is without fear and the head is held
high.
> War, riots, deadly plague or mayhem, journalist
Barkha Dutt has always
been
> in the thick of things. "In my line of work, there
is no question of being
> scared. Kargil was India's first televised war and I
think it was much
later
> that we realized the risks we were taking. Likewise,
in other calamities,
in
> the thick of things, it is more about keeping
deadlines. In the line of
> duty, there is no question of bowing down to fear,"
says she. More power
> her!
>
> Firebrand writer and activist Arundhati Roy needs no
introduction. Sassy,
> independent and controversy prone, she is the first
non-expatriate Indian
> author and the first Indian woman to win the Booker
prize. But true
> knowledge, she believes, comes from every day life
itself. Says she,
> "Whether I write, study architecture, teach aerobics
or fight for justice,
> am still imparting important lessons in life and
that is where true
> knowledge triumphs."
>
> WHERE KNOWLEDGE IS FREE
>
> Black is not Mumbai-based solicitor Kanchan
Pamnani's colour; and why
should
> it be? Though visually disabled, her constant thirst
for knowledge gives
her
> life a kaleidoscopic glow.
>
> Today, Kanchan has her own independent practice with
work related to
> corporate, testamentary, and property law. She has
received her LLM from
> Mumbai and has passed the Qualified Lawyers Transfer
Test from England.
> Assisted by staff, electronic and non-electronic
devices and family,
Kanchan
> has adapted to her environment and tailored it to
her requirements -
> shocking many at first and then keeping them
impressed. Says she, "For me,
> knowledge is power; and the fight for accessible
knowledge has been a
> struggle against tyranny and obsolescence, and a
struggle for freedom."

> As for now, the forever smiling Kanchan, using her
knowledge, grit and
> determination, has achieved much but insists that
she still has "many
miles
> to go..."
>

> >From being born into a family of modest means in an
Italian village,
Sonia
> Gandhi has bagged a place in history by becoming the
President of India's
> century-old Congress party. She is also the third
woman of foreign origin
> hold such a prestigious post, worldwide. Says she,
"I decided that it
would
> be cowardice to sit back and stay at home. I owed it
to the family that I
> married into to do whatever I could for the
Congress," This woman of
> substance has proved that dedication and hard work
can crumble walls and
> make the world a global village.
>
> WHERE the world has not been broken up into
fragments by narrow domestic
> walls.
>
> >From becoming the first Indian actor to be a member
of the jury at the
> Cannes Film Festival, to being listed in 'Time'
magazine among the  '100
> Most Influential People   in the World Today',
Aishwarya Rai can be truly
> called India's first global beauty. Says she, "Not
just India, I want to
> have a repertoire of good work globally." And she is
doing just that;
after
> being seen in films like 'Mistress of Spice' and
'Provoked', she is
> currently filming Hollywood films like The Last
Legion' opposite Colin
Firth
> and Sir Ben Kingsley and 'Chaos' with Meryl Streep,
amongst others.
> Incidentally, Aishwarya has also been immortalized
in wax at the world
> famous Madame Tussaud's wax museum in London.
>
> For 19 years, social activist Medha Patkar has led
the struggle for the
> people affected by the controversial Sardar Sarovar
Project on the Narmada
> River. Not daunted by failures, she has also formed
the National Alliance
of
> People's Movements with other activists against
corruption. Says Medha,
"We
> believe in the truth in our issues and to uphold it,
> we are willing to fight. Losing and winning is the
ultimate end of a
> process, which needs to be carried on with all
values, sincerity, and
> commitment, which is ultimately the strength of
people's movements."

> WHERE words come out from the depth of truth...
>
> Actor Preity Zinta may be called 'Ms Bubbly' but
she's always been known
> fight tooth and nail for the truth. Not only did she
have the guts to
stand
> up strong and tail against the underworld in her
deposition against them,
> she also earned the compliment of being called "the
only man of the
> industry" by the police commissioner of Mumbai. But
this feisty actor
hasn't
> stopped just there. Whether it is helping clean
Mumbai city with beau Ness
> Wadia, or taking on a tabloid on grounds of
"defamation" for airing her
name
> in the infamous Salman Khan telephone tapes, she has
continuously stood
her
> ground and
> "pursued truth and justice relentlessly."
>

> On the night of December 2, 1984, a massive
poisonous gas leak from a
Union
> Carbide pesticide factory killed 8,000 people in
Bhopal. It was termed as
> the Hiroshima of the chemical industry'. Over the
course of 20 years, the
> infamous disaster has caused an estimated 20,000
deaths, countless birth
> defects, and a litany of other serious health
problems. Meet Rashida Bee,
> Bhopal Gas tragedy survivor and the winner of the
prestigious Goldman
> Environment Award, who has been fighting for justice
for the last 20
years.
> She has held hunger strikes, rallies and protests,
and now she walks
around
> with a broom signaling "sweeping changes" to end
environmental hazards all
> over the world. "I will continue to fight such
environmental crimes until
1
> die," she says determinedly.
>
> WHERE tireless striving stretches its arms towards
perfection.

> Magsaysay Award winner Aruna Roy quit her lucrative
IAS job to work for
the
> upliftment of the rural people in Rajasthan and
later, kick-started the
> 'Mazdoor
> Kisan Shakti Sanghatan', a movement for the
empowerment of disadvantaged
> people. Besides this, she has also played a major
role in the national
> campaign for the right to information and was
instrumental in the
enactment
> of Rajasthan's 'Right to Information' bill. Says
she, "We can't all be
> Gandhi or Mao. We have to work in a limited area.
However, we have to
> understand how to relate our small work with big
issues and strive hard to
> make it a success,"
>
> Super cop, reformer, author, educator... Yes, Kiran
Bedi indeed wears many
> hats. And that's because she believes, life is a
continuous learning
> process. Says she, "I teach people to be fearless. I
tell them, nothing is
> permanent with you. What is permanent with you is
your attitude to life.
> That is what is within your control, so break out of
monotony and do
> something substantial in life."
>
> WHERE the clear stream of reason has not lost its
way into the dreary
desert
> sand of dead habit.
>
> Meet Pune-based Bharati Mamani, who after doing tier
post graduation in
> psychology, left everything to "provide a human
touch to strife-torn
> Kashmiri orphans who had seen more corpses than
toys." Says Bharti, "I
> didn't want the fire in my belly to die in the
pursuit of material things.
> That is why my like-minded colleague Adik Kadam and
I started 'Borderless
> World', wherein we came to Kashmir to rehabilitate
orphans. Our orphanage,
> Basera-e-Tabassum (BeT), houses traumatized orphans
of civilians, locals,
> military men, terrorists et al. In the beginning,
being non-Kashmiris, we
> faced problems ranging from local clerics who issued
fatwas, to terrorist
> threats. But that soon settled down. Now we plan to
start other such
> orphanages in border areas which have children as
> major casualties." Kudos to them!
>
> Thumbing her nose at her detractors, Delhi's Chief
Minister Sheila Dixit
has
> always fought and won elections entirely on her
performance ratings. This
> iron lady has also very ably proved that intelligent
thought and hard work
> can propel progress forward. Says she, "We have the
responsibility and we
> have to perform. We are treating 2010 as the
benchmark year for bringing
our
> infrastructure to world-class levels and we will do
so successfully,"

> WHERE the mind is led forward by thee into
ever-widening thought and
> action....
>
> Slight in stature and soft-spoken, Mukhtaran Mai
hardly looks the part of
an
> activist. But this gutsy 30-year-old rape victim has
taken Pakistani
society
> to task for the horror she experienced after she was
brutally gang-raped
on
> the orders of a local panchayat. "The unbelievable
pain I experienced is
> hard to put into words. But I hold on to my pain,
put myself in the public
> no matter what they say about my motives. I just
don't want people to
> forget." Today, Mukhtaran travels all over the world
narrating her plight,
> hoping more and more people will come forward to
stop antiquated cruel
> customs against women.
> ..
> ....Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my
country awake.

> Tried the new MSN Messenger? It's cool! Download
now.

http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in

any other changes,
please visit the list home page at