The Diagnosis of Diabetes

Although the diagnosis of diabetes may be anticipated when classical
symptoms and signs are present; weight loss, fatigue, a history of
polydipsia (excessive
thirst) and polyuria (excessive urinating), the diagnosis should not rely
only on the presence of glycosuria (sugar in the urine). The diagnosis must
be
confirmed by demonstrating the presence of fasting hyperglycaemia (raised
blood sugar) and following an oral glucose tolerance test.2

Diabetic Retinopathy and Blindness

Twenty years after the onset of diabetes nearly all patients with type I
diabetes (insulin-dependent) and more than 60% of those with type II
diabetes (non
insulin-dependent) will have retinopathy.3 Diabetic retinopathy is the
leading cause of blindness amongst people of working age in industrialised
countries.4
It is estimated that there are 20 million diabetics in the Middle East (WHO
Eastern Mediterranean Region), of which 800,000 will require treatment for
retinopathy, and 116,000 new patients will present for treatment each year.5
In Singapore, 8.6% of the population between 15 and 69 years is diabetic,
that is, 165,000 diabetics and at least 16,500 of these will have
retinopathy.6

Ricky Sharma writes in this issue of his experience at Aravind Eye Hospital,
South India. In a six month period, 1,863 new eye patients had a diagnosis
(either previously known or unknown) of diabetes mellitus. Of these, 684
(37%) were found to have diabetic retinopathy. Further, 987 (53%) had either
immature
or mature cataracts and so some retinopathy will have been obscured.

Thylefors, Negrel, Pararajasegaram and Dadzie, in their analysis of the WHO
Global Data Bank on Blindness, said that the survey data on diabetic
retinopathy
as a cause of blindness is too limited to reach an accurate figure.7
However, it does seem likely that blinding diabetic eye disease is now the
fourth
major cause of blindness worldwide, after cataract, the glaucomas and
trachoma.

Philip Hykin, in his review article, describes the clinical features and
management of diabetic retinopathy. The new descriptive terms used by the
Early
Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy Study (ETDRS) should be understood by us

Screening and Treatment

Lyn Jenkins and Valerie Mayon-White address the difficult question of
screening for diabetic retinopathy. Although the 'ideal screening method
does not
exist' and many in developing countries will not have available
sophisticated equipment for screening, all eye care workers should be aware
if diabetes
is a public health problem in their region and make sure that diabetic
patients have regular, dilated view ophthalmoscopy

Old Descriptive Term
New Term (ETDRS)

Background

Mild Non-Proliferative
Moderate Non-Proliferative

Pre-Proliferative

Severe Non-Proliferative
Very Severe Non-Proliferative

Proliferative

Proliferative (the same)

Maculopathy ('Diffuse'; 'Exudative'; 'Ischaemic')

Maculopathy (focal laser therapy based on whether 'Clinically Significant
Macular Oedema')

It is understood that adding retinal photography to direct or indirect
ophthalmoscopy greatly improves sensitivity and specificity (
) in identifying diabetic retinopathy.5,7,8 However, Yeo, Lim and colleagues
rightly point out that 'primary health care and other practitioners should
... be encouraged to attempt direct ophthalmoscopy ... and refer diabetics
for further examination if the fundal state cannot be adequately assessed by
them.'6

Early treatment using laser photocoagulation has been shown to reduce
blindness due to diabetic retinopathy by at least 60% and the figure will
improve
further as patients at risk are identified early:3 the earlier the better.

Recognition of the increasing problem of diabetes mellitus and its danger to
sight, training in ophthalmoscopy (and other diagnostic methods, if
possible),
early identification of the stages of retinopathy in patients at risk and
referral for expert opinion and treatment, will prevent blindness for many
individuals
Dr.vijeta