I am delighted that there is so much interest in Linux. I am new to
Linux myself, and frankly, I just love it.

emacs is not difficult to learn -- it comes with an excellent help
system, that allows you to pick up the commands fairly easily.

I would not bother with Gnopernicus. It is not a patch on Jaws.
Emacspeak is terrific, though, as the quote below points out. A very
different approach from Jaws, but no less powerful and ultimately easy
to use. I would urge those wishing to join us for the conference 11 am
tomorrow, to please read this, so that you have good questions for TV
Raman. Yes, the page cited below also has some negative comments, but
they may be old: Linux has become amazingly more user friendly in the
last couple of years.

Here is how to participate in Global Learn Day: http://ben300.com/GLDTEN/?p=52

When would be a convenient time to have this Linux workshop? Can we do
this over some weekend in Delhi? How does November 4-5, which is 4
weeks from now, sound?

Those who live out of town but wish to take part could use Skype or
some suitable online conferencing facility.

Look forward to having many of you in the conference tomorrow.
Warmly,
Arun
http://leb.net/blinux/emacspeak_voices.html says:

First, I am in control of my computer.

Before I start this review, I would like to tell you a bit about me. I
am totally blind. I am not a programmer. I am an English teacher, and
I tutor part time to help make ends meet here. I have been using
computers since 1988 when I got my first computer which ran MS-DOS. I
have had no training in Unix except for having a Unix shell account
for several years. Note: I did not experiment with Unix, and knew only
the most basic commands. Most of my work was done in MS-DOS. In the
fall of 1997, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Windows95 system.
Everyone was going to Windows, it was required for jobs; it was
required to use the Internet properly, and it was what everyone else
was using. So, I plunged into it. A note here about training, I have
had no formal computer training. I had to learn Windows by myself and
alone. I found it extremely difficult to learn. Why? Because Windows
is a graphical Interface, it relies on the operator being able to see
the menus that are presented to him/her. Windows requires that you
visualize how a screen is laid out, where things are positioned. Being
a lone learner, this is singularly impossible for someone who is
totally blind.

Then, I heard about Linux. My local computer guru was fascinated when
he heard about Emacspeak 10.0. I sent him the press release. We
decided to use the second partition on my hard drive for Linux. We
wanted to try this out, and since it was virtually free, and since I
had expert help, we decided to do it. Last February, we did the deed.
My guru and I installed Linux on the D partition of my hard drive.
Then, came the part that I still find fascinating! My sighted guru
didn't know much about Emacspeak or how to install it, but I have a
young friend in Kansas who was familiar with Emacspeak and its
installation. So, my local guru made him an account, and he installed
Emacspeak and its accompanying programs, from Kansas!

With all that said, I want to tell you what Emacspeak has done for me.
It has literally freed me to do my work on the computer. Oh yes, I
know that this sounds hoaky, I know it sounds romantic, but it is not.
Emacs with its accompanying speech output program has allowed me to be
freer in creating and in utilizing the computer. there are several
ways in which Emacspeak has done this. Here is a brief description of
each one.

First, I am in control of my computer. this is really important for
anyone who operates equipment of whatever kind, but it is particularly
important for computer operations. In Windows, I am never quite sure
where I am on the screen. I am never sure that if I move the arrow
keys or press the tab key what I am likely to find or hear once I've
done it. I have no control. the computer is my master, I am its user.
In Linux, using Emacspeak, I am always in control. Even though I may
not know programming, if I issue a command, it's either executed or I
get an error message that I can understand. When I put the cursor on a
place in a document, it stays there until I move it. there *is* a
cursor, a "point" of reference. I am in control.

Secondly, because Linux is a true multitasking environment, I can do
several things at one time. I can read mail, write a document, talk to
friends on ICQ, monitor a text based virtual reality, and more. Not
only that, I can move material from task to task, I can copy text from
an email message to a document or vice versa. In Windows if you mark
text to do this, there is no way to tell what's been marked and what
hasn't.

This brings me to the third reason for Emacspeak being my liberating
force, the audio icons. the mainstay of the Windows environment is the
visual icon, the little telephone or desk or whatever picture that
represents a given task. When using Emacspeak you get audible icons
for everything, for marking text, for changing between buffers, for
filling in paragraphs, for deleting things, for jumping to the bottom
of a document, everything, You get audible feedback too, things like
telling you how much a line is indented on a screen. I about jumped
out of my skin when I was reading over a document I had typed and I
discovered that I had inadvertently indented a line by three spaces.
there is audible feedback for changes in text. For example, notice the
word in quotation marks above. when my cursor goes over the word
"point", I get a difference in the voice of my speech synthesizer!
This has *never* happened to me before. I actually *know* that I put
that word in quotes and that there are quotes on both sides of the
phrase! If I put something in parenthesis, I get the confirming
message "matches", from the computer. Writing has become a pleasure,
not a task to be done, and that doesn't even touch the advanced
features of Emacs that are voicified.

Fourth, accessing the Internet has become easier. Because Emacspeak
runs in Linux, this allows one to access a PPP or SLIP account without
the problem of dialing into a shell, using MS-DOS. Because Linux is
virtually free, this allows a blind computer user to do 80% of all
that can be done via the Internet. Some things are still not
accessible via Linux or Emacspeak, but perhaps in time, they will be
accessible. Because Emacs is not only an editor but a means by which a
person can access other programs, I have been able to do all kinds of
things through this speaking editor. I can read mail with a program
called vm. I can access the web with w3, I could write a book on why I
love w3. I can use a calendar, diary and an extensive card-file
database. Oh, yes, let's not forget real-audio. this aspect of the Net
has become open to me as well. Many organizations are producing
audible web content and programs. These can be accessed through Emacs,
using Emacspeak.

Because all these programs are reachable through Emacs and therefore
Emacspeak, I can do my work efficiently. I have found a working
environment that allows me to access everything my sighted
counterparts do, or almost, and yet, it is designed for me, me as a
blind person, it is tailored for my needs, my learning style. I can't
say enough about this system. I guess my final word is, if this system
works so well, why aren't more blind people using it? Why are they
struggling to be like the sighted instead of being themselves and
working with the sighted to accomplish tasks together?
--Ann K. Parsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ALTERNATE EMAIL: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MICQ Number: 33006854
WEB SITE: http://home.eznet.net/~akp
I use Emacspeak as the only interface on my Linux system.

I use Emacspeak as the only interface on my Linux system, which is a
laptop computer. Emacspeak, and T. V. Raman's publications describing
it, have radically changed my appreciation of how convenient and
elegant auditory user interfaces can be, especially when they are not
derived, as is the case with a conventional screen reader, from a
visual presentation.

Prior to using Emacspeak, my access to computers was provided by
DOS-based screen readers. I have also had experience with braille
interfaces, which I consider to be of great value in their own
right--unfortunately they are often treated as of secondary importance
in comparison with speech. Most of the future developments which I
would find beneficial do not amount to changes in the basic operation
of Emacspeak itself. As better software-based synthesizers become
available, it may be possible to include support for multi lingual
environments. Also, much could be gained from the development, either
as a future version of the Emacs/W3 browser or otherwise, of a more
sophisticated document processing system, capable of handling some of
the newer web-related standards, including XML document formats, multi
lingual texts, MathML, and so forth, as well as other significant
formats such as TeX, to provide high-quality audio formatting,
interactive browsing and navigation. I realize that in order for this
to be achieved, the Emacs/W3 browser requires further development, or
else another document processing system with which Emacspeak can be
connected, must be found; Emacs/W3 is a good starting point however
and would naturally be the preferred option. It has been carefully
maintained and extended over the years, as most free/open-source
software projects are.

I would also like to express my gratitude to the Emacspeak community,
and T. V. Raman in particular, for their outstanding support and
encouragement over the years. Bugs in Emacspeak have been few, and
when found, they have been fixed with remarkable speed and diligence.
--Jason White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>