This message was sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED],
as a service of www.dnaindia.com.

Comments from sender :

Full Story can be found at
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1077121

New two-rupee coin is confusing for the blind
 By - Mayura Janwalkar

The new two rupee coin introduced by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in
December 2006, is causing a lot of hardship for the visually challenged.
The new stainless steel coin can be easily mistaken for a one rupee
coin, as it is round in shape and does not have sharper edges like the
old two rupee coin.

The new coin has the number '2' boldly embossed on one side and a symbol
for 'Unity in Diversity' on the other.

Earlier, one could easily make out the difference between the one and
two rupee coin on the basis of their edges - one rupee coin had round
edges while the two rupee coin had uneven edges. In many cases, when
even people with normal eyesight have transacted the two rupee coin
thinking it to be one rupee coin; the blind population is suitably upset
with the use of this new coin becoming more common.

"Although the new coin is slightly bigger in size, there is negligible
difference in the new two rupee coin and the one rupee coin. Even the
general public gets confused, so we are bound to be," said Himanshu
Kejriwal, a visually challenged bank employee.

"Anything that limits the independence of an individual is a sure no
no," says Kanchan Pamnani, a visually challenged law practitioner. She
added that the visually challenged have to pay Rs 1 in buses and trains
as fair, all over India. Hence, it is likely that the visually
challenged may give away a two rupee coin instead of a one rupee coin.
When handed the new two rupee coin, Shanti Gawde, a blind woman who
sells pass covers at Andheri Station said in disbelief, "No it can't be,
I think you have given me a one rupee coin".

An RBI Spokesperson said, "While designing the coin this is kept in
mind. The figure two is more sharply embossed on the new coin than it
was in the old one. This ought to be an enabling factor". She added that
the visually challenged persons are more alert and sensitive than the
general public, so even if normal people get confused, the blind will
not.

"We have started expressing our discontent through protest mails to the
RBI and the feeling seems to be widespread all around the country," said
Kejriwal.

The RBI, however, thinks that these are initial reactions. "We will wait
for some more feedback and if the protest intensifies, we will consider
taking some action in due course", the spokesperson added. "At this
stage it is not really an agitation, we are requesting the RBI to stop
the circulation of these coins. But if no action is taken, at a later
stage we may think of moving the court", Pamnani said.

For news updates throughout the day, visit www.dnaindia.com