Medical rule is no respecter of merit

Bageshree S.

Raman Kumar was disqualified on grounds of handicap

I am not asking for reservation. I am just asking for the right to compete on a
par with others.
I can make a difference by being part of the bureaucracy

Bangalore: Raman Kumar belongs to an unusual category of persons. While a
relatively mild handicap has blocked his entry into the Indian Civil Services,
he does not qualify under the disability quota either.

Mr. Kumar appeared for the Indian Engineering Services Examination conducted by
the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in 2002 and got an all-India
ranking of 29, which should have ensured him a plum posting but for a
disqualifying clause in the recruitment rules.

According to the UPSC medical examination criteria, if a candidate has a normal
eyesight of 6/9 in one eye and 6/12 in the other, she or he should apply
in the general category. If the eyesight is poor (less than 6/60 in one and
6/36 in the other), the candidate can apply in the physically challenged
category
and is entitled to reservation.

But those like Mr. Kumar, who fall in the middle — with eyesight between 6/36
and 6/12 — get disqualified under this inexplicable rule.

Raman holds a B.Tech. degree in Civil Engineering and an M.Tech. in Civil
Engineering from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He is now working
for a Bangalore-based multinational. At no point, he has had any problem with
his eyesight. For the past four years, Mr. Kumar has fought a one-man campaign
against this recruitment rule. He has moved the Supreme Court and written to
various ministries, the President and the Prime Minister. His questions have
not been answered.

The last communication he received from the UPSC (in March 2005) simply repeats
what he already knows — there is no such category as mild handicap. "I am
not asking for reservation. I am just asking for the right to compete on a par
with others. How can I be denied that," asks Mr. Kumar.

According to an official in the Railway Ministry, which is in charge of medical
examination of engineering service candidates, there is no proposal to review
this rule "as of now," though there are "many such cases." Mr. Kumar's case was
forwarded to the Health Ministry and a review committee set up. But nothing
came of it.

At a time when civil service is losing its sheen for youth, Mr. Kumar believes
he can "make a difference" by being part of the bureaucracy. That is why
he is doggedly pursuing his case, though the prospects in his current job are
promising. He hopes that others who have been denied an opportunity on similar
grounds will come together to launch a united campaign. He can be contacted on
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Truly,
Have a wonderful day ahead!

Amit Bhatt
Windows Live Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype: amitbhattindia

Mob: +91 935-006-3109

"Success lies not in the result, but in the effort"