-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Sudhir R
(NeSTIT)
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:01 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Buying a laptop

Hi folks !

A student doing her second year degree course in Kerala is planning to purchase
a laptop immediately.  The laptop should be able to serve her requirements at
least till she completes her PG which implies, if I guess correctly, it would
need to be compatible to Vista and Vista-based applications, even though she
may be running it on Win XP for the time being.  Kindly advise the features one
needs to incorporate from this forward compatibility angle.

Specifically, will it need a 64 bit processor ?

Since most of the Vista's much-touted graphics will be lost on us, is there any
need for 1 GB RAM  or Direct X.10 compatible Graphics card right now ?  And,
can we settle for a smaller screen size (12.1 inch) as it makes little
difference for us ?

Would appreciate if you could share your experiences with various brands and
configurations, specifically with performance, ease of operation and after
sales support points in mind.

Thanks in advance and regards

RS
M: 98 472 76 126