Dear Atul,

Glad indeed to learn about the big promotion in the offing for you and may you
continue to be the highly respected ambassador of the visually challenged in
the Tata group.

As Harish wisely put it, guinea pigs often have to suffer the most to make
things better for those that follow.  I am sure we all appreciate the good work
NGOs are putting in to educate the IT companies to look at disabled resources
as a potential talent pool.  And, we are all aware that militant action can
only be counter-productive.

All that one wished to bring to the notice of the group members, especially the
youngsters, are that things are not as hunky dory as the media and the IT
companies make them out to be.  It is not a level playing field and lots of our
brethren are going to be either injured or eliminated in the treacherous
terrain.

As someone who has been advising the best and brightest visually challenged
youngsters of Kerala to look away from the steady teaching jobs that are the
traditional forte and to exciting new and well-paying careers in the IT sector,
I felt I should highlight the not-so-palatable aspect of the latter's hiring
practices of the disabled.  In most cases, such bright youngsters, often from
the lower middle class, would prefer steady jobs that pay less to the
glamourous ones that pay handsomely, but, just blow up six months down the
line.  I just wanted to warn that like equity investments, these jobs are not
for the risk-averse.  Again, like equity investments, the rewards of taking the
extra risk can be  stratospheric. (smile)

I would also like to add here that my own experience in the private IT sector,
after 16 years of public sector service during which I eventually lost my
sight, has been most rewarding in terms of the great learning opportunities it
has provided and in terms of the love, respect and acceptance my team members
have extended to me.  So,believe me, I am no basher of the private sector or
the IT sector. (smile)

Rgds

RS
M: 98 472 76 126