http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/lesson-in-determination-visually-challenged-women-script-success/article1-1378896.aspx
It's not commonplace to be visually challenged and then crack India's
toughest management entrance test or become a professor of philosophy
at a reputed university. But two Jaipur women have done just that.

Vinita Nair, an assistant professor of philosophy at University of
Rajasthan, and Paridhi Verma, a postgraduate student at the Indian
Institute of Management-Lucknow, lost their sight gradually. Now, Nair
is left with 5% vision while Verma has 10%.

This year, 34-year-old Nair fought a legal battle to get her
appointment in the university, and Verma, 19, entered the hallowed
portals of the IIM, becoming the youngest person in her batch.

Nair completed an MPhil and a PhD degree and was teaching in private
colleges when the Rajasthan University advertised for the post of
assistant professors in November 2012.

For six posts in the philosophy department, there was just one
unreserved post, and she claimed it as a person with a disability, but
the university's administration refused her the job.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2015/8/iimlucknowstudent.jpg
Paridhi Verma with her parents.

Nair fought several battles, from the office of the chief commissioner
for persons with disability (CCPD) to the Rajasthan high court, and
finally in the Supreme Court. And she won everywhere.

Verma, on the other hand, has battled homesickness in her Lucknow
hostel. Nair has looked after herself for long, but Verma was away
from her parents for the first time.

"At home, they were there to do things for me. Here I have to do
everything on my own. In just two months, I fractured a ligament when
I got hit by my bed," said Verma, speaking to Hindustan Times on phone
from Lucknow.

Nair studied with a magnifying glass all her life but Verma had a
"reader" at home.

"One of my juniors came home to read for me, one to two hours every
day, for about three months. I couldn't study without a reader," she
said.

And with those two hours of daily studies, she cracked the Common
Admission Test to gain admission to an IIM. During that time, she also
studied for her bachelor's degree at the IIS University in Jaipur.

IIM-Lucknow has appointed a reader for Verma, who spends four hours
every day with her. "The pressure of academics is very much here, but
I am coping. I need to be a good manager before I can be a good
administrator," she said.

Verma wants to be a civil servant in the future. "But before that, I
want to also see how the corporate world treats a person like me."

--
Avinash Shahi