Hi, I'm having this biometric authentication in my Lenovo laptop which was
bought a little more than a year. How this coming system of authentication is
likely to be different from the one I'm already having in my system with Win7?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kotian, H P
  To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerningthe
disabled.
  Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:31 PM
  Subject: [AI] 'Hello' Brings Biometric Authentication to Windows 10

  Friends

  This is pretty interesting, Although, I consider something coming rather late.
  Harish Kotian

  'Hello' Brings Biometric Authentication to Windows 10
  Hello can scan your face, iris or finger to increase security.
  bw/140718
  By Keith Ward
  Windows Expert

  There's no doubt that
  security
  is one of the biggest concerns facing computer users today. Hacks are legion;
it's likely that if you've ever used a credit card online, someone, somewhere
  has access to that card number. Even being an expert-level user is no
guarantee of security; my identity has been compromised a number of times over
the
  years, and I know the proper steps to take.

  Microsoft knows this, too, and has taken big steps to make Windows 10 its
most secure operating system ever.

  Windows 10,
  as you may know, will be out on
  July 29
  (and soon thereafter, depending on a number of factors) for you to download.
It has many cool new things, but the best of all may be two security features:
  Hello and Passport.

  Windows Hello

  Windows Hello is a new biometric security feature that promises to be much
more secure than a simple password. Hello allows you to use your face, your
  eye's iris, or your fingerprint to authenticate yourself to your device,
whether it's a laptop, desktop, tablet, phone or whatever.

  If it sounds like something out of a spy movie, you've got the right idea.
You can show your face to a special camera, or use a fingerprint reader, and
  Windows 10 will give you access to the system. No passwords to store, lose,
or have stolen by the bad guys. Microsoft's Joe Belfiore puts it this way in
  blog entry:
  You'll no longer have to rely on a "... random assortment of letters and
numbers that are easily forgotten, hacked, or written down and pinned to a
bulletin
  board."
  Microsoft says it has built-in safeguards to ensure that someone doesn't use
a picture of you, for example, to fool the facial recognition system, and
  can still identify a user with makeup or a new beard. Hello works in business
settings as well, and will integrate with Microsoft's identity management
  software.

  Windows Passport

  Working in conjunction with Hello is Windows Passport, which is a programming
system that allows for development of Web sites and other systems to access
  content that would normally be secured by a password. The idea is that if
you're already recognized and authenticated by Hello, that you can use a
particular
  site that's been Passport-enabled without supplying the traditional
username/password combination for access.

  I could see uses for this on an online banking site, for instance. Being
authenticated by Hello means you are really you, and your banking session would
  be much more secure, since someone who has your password still wouldn't get
access. Imagine if this were used on sites like eBay or Craigslist -- our
Internet
  usage would suddenly become much more secure.

  Baby Steps

  This technology will be available with Windows 10, but beware that many --
maybe even most -- users won't have access to it immediately. Using the facial
  or iris recognition will take a combination of special hardware and software,
Microsoft points out, including a "fingerprint reader, illuminated IR sensor
  or other biometric sensors." A key piece of hardware will be a special type
of camera called a "depth camera." Almost no current devices have that, although
  it's not hard to imagine that future phones, tablets, etc. will have them as
standard issue (I'm old enough to remember when phones didn't have cameras,
  for example).

  If you have a fingerprint scanner, or can buy one (they're generally not real
expensive) that you can connect to your device via USB or some other method,
  you can use that as your Windows Hello authentication immediately. So not all
hope is lost in being able to use this cool technology right away.

  Also, this is how all technology starts out -- it's often available on
high-end devices, then becomes more generally available (as I mentioned before
with
  cameras in phones.) I'm hopeful that Windows Hello will help usher in an era
of safer computing; a time when passwords are tossed on the trash heap of
  computing history, and we finally gain the upper hand on the bad guys.
  article end
  Source:
http://windows.about.com/od/Windows-10/fl/Hello-Brings-Biometric-Authentication-to-Windows-10.htm?utm_content=20150819&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_campaign=computersl&utm_term=Computers%20Channel%20Newsletter

  Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.

sent through this mailing list..