Hello my friend,

I dont know what is the cause of this problem but I, more or less scan in
the same way you have described. I scan the pages in the MS Office document
Scanning which is available in MS Office 2003. Now, all these options which
you are talking about is available in it and I am able to save a lot of time
. I follow the steps which you have followed but I dont know what have you
done to convert the image file into text. In my case, I choose the convert
to Omni Page submenu by pressing the application key on the image file and,
then select the desired format I want the text to appear in. But, I  have
never faced such problems which you are facing.

Hope this helps,
    Abdul