hello friends, greetings.
SMARTCANE DEVICE

Smartcane device is a mobility aid for people with vision impairment and it
is used in conjunction with the regular white cane which is normally used
for mobility and navigation. It fits at the top fold of foldable white cane
and acts as a natural extension to the white cane. It can be detached from
the cane as and when it is necessary and can be re-attached using a simple
latching mechanism. Whereas normal white cane can detect obstacles up to
knee height, this device helps in detecting obstacles from knee to head
height. Thus, it prevents injuries on the upper parts of the body. The
device uses Ultrasonic sensors for detection of the obstacles and provides
vibratory feedback to the users about the presence of any obstacle. The
device uses different vibration patterns to convey the distance of the user
from the obstacle. It works in two modes - Indoor and Outdoor. It can detect
obstacles up to 3 meters when using outdoor and up to 1.8 meters when it is
used in indoor environments. In other words, it warns about impending
obstacles much before the possible collision happens. The objects like
people, tree branches, garbage dumps, walls, poles, vehicles etc. could be
detected from the mentioned distance. It also helps in finding
collision-free paths by providing special map information to the user. The
user can tilt it to different direction and follow the path where no
vibration is coming. It can also be used to follow someone while walking
while maintaining the distance from that person using a certain vibration
pattern of the device. The device is designed in such a way so that to
provide the aurganomic grip suiting to the different gripping styles of
different people while maintaining the ease of tapping the cane. The device
comes with in-built rechargeable battery which can be charged just like a
cell phone.  Once fully charged, the battery can go on for approximately 8
hours of continuous use.

This device has been developed jointly by Indian Institute of Technology
Delhi, Saksham Trust Delhi, and Phoenix Medical Systems Pvt. Ltd. Chennai.
It has been co-created with suggestions from more than hundred users in
various parts of the country.

For any suggestion or queries, please contact us at:
Saksham Trust, 486, Double story Building, New Rajinder nagar, New
Delhi-110060.
Phone   : 011-64650655 (Monday to Saturday, 9AM-7PM)
Email   : smartc...@saksham.org
Thanks&regards
Sirajuddin
E-mail: khansiraj...@gmail.com