Rohit and 14 other children from across India will present various
issues at the 70th United Nations General Assembly this year. Photo:
Sushil Kumar Verma
A 15-year-old from Faridabad will present the issues of
differently-abled children of the National Capital Region at the 70th
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) this year.

Rohit, a differently-abled student of Class XI at a private school in
Faridabad, will go to the UNGA along with 14 other children from all
over the country who will represent various issues concerning
children.

“My legs were very weak at the time of my birth and I had a boil on my
back. The doctors advised surgery. However, something went wrong
during the operation and now I have scoliosis [which causes curvature
of the spine]. It is difficult for me to stand straight, but I have
not let it affect my morale. It has only made me stronger and now I
will take up the fight for the rights of differently-abled children,”
Rohit told The Hindu .

The teenager was nominated for the UNGA by World Vision India as a
part of their programme “Nine is Mine”.

“The main objective of taking Rohit and other children to the UNGA is
to influence the world community to accept the allocation of six per
cent GDP for education and five per cent for health as the minimum
international standard,” said a volunteer from World Vision India.

“At the UNGA, I will raise issues about education and future
employment opportunities for differently-abled children. I want an
equal ground of opportunities for the differently-abled. They should
not be forced to resort to things like begging due to lack of
opportunities,” Rohit said.

“I also want society to treat differently-abled people just like
able-bodied ones. I have never been bullied by my friends because of
my condition. I want people to treat all differently-abled people like
that,” he added.

Rohit, who wants to become a pilot, knows the road ahead is tough, but
says he is ready to face the challenges head-on.

Source:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/faridabad-boy-to-represent-differentlyabled-at-unga/article7661010.ece