From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Dhananjay Bhole
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2015 2:57 PM
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled.
Cc: jnuvision
Subject: Re: [AI] Physically challenged to study at IITs for free

It is apriciable. Economically backword students with disabilities
will have great help by this discigen, provided IITs should allow
enrolment of students with disabilities. IITs are not open to admit
persons with disabilities specially visually challenged students.
Professirs and administraters in IITs are not awared how persons with
disabilities learn using assistive technologies, what accessible and
inclusive environment they require for study science, technologies and
management courses. They should sensitise them self.

Creation of inclusive environment in IITs is more important than
waving fees for persons with disabilities what i believe. Institutions
should understand that fees consession will not increase enrolment of
students with disabilities. They must start providing reasonable
occomodation in their entire academic settings. Why don't they Make
their libraries, laboratories, classrooms, teaching and learning
processes, recreational services, campus premises, academic web
services accessible for students, staffs, faculties, ,researchers and
visiters with disabilities.

Why Madam smruti irani didn't understand this? I have written her
several times about the same on MHRD ministry's website and tried
calling concern athorities. But no any reply.

We should make aware such stakeholders that waving fees will not solve
the problames of students with disabilities. They should make
inclusive environment in academics. That will impact allot. Students
with disabilities are not begers.

Regards

On 10/8/15, avinash shahi <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aditi Tandon
> http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/physically-challenged-to-study-at-iits-for-free/143209.html
> Tribune News Service
>
> New Delhi, October 7
>  Physically challenged students who wish to study at the Indian
> Institutes of Technology (IITs) need not worry about the education
> cost any more as the IIT Council has decided to waive their fee from
> the current academic session.
>  The IITs' highest decision-making body announced this after the 49th
> meeting of the Council in Mumbai yesterday.
>  Any student who gets admission into any of the 15 IITs under the
> physically challenged category from this academic year onwards will
> get free education through all semesters.
>  A fee waiver for students from the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled
> Tribes category has been in place in the IITs but a demand for a
> similar waiver for physically handicapped quota students was pending.
>  HRD Minister Smriti Irani is learnt to have personally pushed the
> move which will boost technical education prospects for the special
> category students. "The idea behind the proposal was to make access
> and entry to the IITs easier for the students who get admission to the
> IITs in the physically challenged category. Since such waivers exist
> for SCs and STs, a window of opportunity was already there. We have
> just seized the opportunity," said a high ranking HRD Ministry
> official.
>  At present, the physically handicapped quota students who get
> admitted to the IITs pay a fee of Rs 90,000 a year on the lines of the
> general category students.
>  The development, on which the IITs will soon issue an official
> circular, will improve the number of physically challenged students
> entering IITs.
>  Sources in the Ministry say their numbers at present are low as compared to
> the
>
> --
> Avinash Shahi
> Doctoral student at Centre for Law and Governance JNU

Dhananjay Bhole,
coordinator,
Accessibility research group,
Department of Education and Extension,
Savitribai Phule Pune University,
Ganesh Khind road,
Pune 411007.
Email: drbh...@unipune.ac.in
Website: http://www.unipune.ac.in/atbslc
PH: +912025601352
Telephax: +912025601301
cell:+919850123212

"through difficulties and problems, god gives us opportunities to
learn and grow" Dr.Kalam

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error,  please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India  accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.