Keynote Address

     By Prasanna Kumar Pincha

I am overwhelmingly honoured to associate myself with this important
conference; and, to be delivering this keynote address on a theme of utmost
contemporary relevance, namely, the Right to Education Act and other
educational initiatives --  issues and challenges. Implicit in the theme is the
fact that it is in the context of the blind.

It goes without saying that education brings empowerment; that education
prepares one for life; and, that education aims at ensuring all-round
development of an individual. At a deeper and, perhaps a more philosophical
level, education must awaken in one an irresistible craving to delve into the
depths and dimensions of life, of existence, of consciousness and above all, of
the cosmos itself. It is therefore, no wonder that the 86th amendment to the
Constitution of India with the consequential insertion of Article 21A seeks to
elevate the right to education to the category of fundamental right. It is
common knowledge that through a subsequent amendment in the RTE Act, children
with disabilities have been explicitly included in the category of
'Disadvantaged Children' which by all manner of means, a welcome move.

On this momentous occasion therefore, I take the opportunity to flag up for
deliberation some of the broad thematic areas together with some illustrative
examples of issues and challenges that continue to stare us in the face in the
fervent belief that collective and critical reflection will bring in greater
clarity of thought, deeper perspicacity of perception, and, shared
understanding in respect of a range of questions, concerns, queries, and
curiosities.

Quality Education

To my mind, quality education is non-negotiable. As a blind individual, my
primary concern ought to be to receive quality education on an equal basis with
others regardless of whether that quality education happens to me through the
agency of a blind school or through some other agency including through the
agency of a so-called mainstream/general school. My specific need/condition
coupled with other relevant circumstantial factors will determine the agency
that best serve my educational needs and interests as a blind person.

As I take the floor to address this august gathering this afternoon, I am
reminded of a slogan which I had coined so passionately years back and it
reads:  "Give me quality education; and, I will ensure my inclusion". Besides,
let us not lose sight of the fact that inclusive education will remain high on
rhetoric and low on substance unless the qualitative dimension of education for
blind students is appropriately addressed.

Therefore, the larger issue/challenge here is to substantially improve the
qualitative dimension of education for blind students in the mainstream
schools; and, at the same time, to ensure that the blind schools are managed,
maintained, and run on modern and scientific lines.

Inclusive Education

The expression 'inclusive education' has been variously and variantly defined,
understood and interpreted by academicians, activists, and habilitation and
rehabilitation professionals across the spectrum. To put it briefly, the
popular understanding of the concept of inclusive education as distinguished
from integrated education envisages a system where students with disabilities
would receive education together with students without disabilities under a
common roof and under a common teacher sharing common resource room. Unlike
integrated education, the concept of inclusive education completely rules out
any separate or exclusive resource teacher. Without splitting hairs over the
nuanced distinction between these two concepts, I wish to submit that my
perspective on the concept of inclusive education is rights-driven; rather than
agency or set-up driven. While entirely agreeing with the mandate of Article 24
of the UNCRPD which recognizes 'inclusion' as a 'primary goal', I feel that
  is somewhere a process as well. Now, my idea of inclusive education envisages
a system, environment, and institutional and other arrangements which enables
persons with disabilities including persons with blindness to access, use and
enjoy her or his right to education on an equal basis with others, and includes
a range of choices such as, mainstream schools, special schools as they are
called or for that matter, disability-specific schools, etc.

What I perceive as a formidable challenge for the mainstream/general schools is
the humongous task to ensure that blind students do not feel excluded in the
crowd of sighted students for want of a level playing field which expression
includes dearth or complete non-availability of Braille textbooks, dearth of
aids and appliances including those required for learning subjects like
mathematics, and lack of appropriate alternative arrangements to make up for
the inability to see all  that is written on the blackboard, etc. Clearly,
absence of a level playing field will not let a blind student, howsoever
meritorious, keep pace with the rest of the class which, by all manner of
speaking, is a furiously frustrating experience.

Another issue at hand in this regard is the urgency to ensure inclusion at
various levels of the education/academic processes; such as, at the
infrastructure development level, school management level, pedagogic level,
examination and evaluation level, and also at the curriculum development level.
This, when done, will go a long way in improving the qualitative dimension of
education of students with disabilities including the blind students.

Role of special schools

One of the cardinal principles of the United Nations Convention on the Rights
of Persons with Disabilities is the freedom to make one's own choice.
Therefore, nothing that militates against this cardinal principle should ever
be done. Special schools, or more appropriately, the disability-specific
schools will continue to play a significant role in this regard. For one thing,
I feel it is hightime we do away with the expression 'special schools', more
particularly, in the wake of the said UN Convention recognizing persons with
disabilities as a part of humanity and human diversity.

Even at the cost of sounding rhetorical, I feel tempted to say that in order to
appreciate the role of the so-called special schools, we need to acknowledge
that the idea of inclusion excludes 'exclusion'; but it does not rule out
'exclusivity' or 'exclusiveness'. At a larger level, for example, a boy has the
option to study either in a school meant exclusively for boys; or
alternatively, in a co-ed school. A girl has a similar option. Besides, there
are schools meant exclusively for students belonging to the minority
communities albeit they do very much have the option to study in a
general/mainstream school. Therefore, I see no reason for selective application
of the principle of inclusion to persons with disabilities including the blind
based on an erroneous and utterly misplaced understanding of the concept of
inclusion.

It has been my settled conviction that the so-called special schools and the
general/mainstream schools are complementary and supplementary to each other. I
will go a step further to assert that the special schools have the potential to
significantly contribute towards improving the qualitative aspects of education
of students with disabilities studying in the general/mainstream schools.

Moreover, it would be quite in context for us to remember that none of us
really know as to when, if at all, in the foreseeable future, that dream-day
will arrive where all the general/mainstream schools in the country will have a
complete level playing field for students with disabilities including for blind
students. This explains why I wish to sound a word of caution to suggest that
it is crucial to guard against any possible attempts to phase out the special
schools based on an erroneous and misplaced understanding and interpretation of
the concept of inclusive education. On the contrary, the state of affairs in
the existing special schools should be substantially improved; and, more and
more special schools be set up depending on need. Let our actions be based on
our shared appreciation of the fact that inclusion does not negate
specificities. This fact is amply corroborated by the mandate enunciated vide
Article 24 (2e) and 24 (3c) of the UNCRPD respectively.

The issue that merits attention therefore, is to put in place a well
thought-out plan which will ensure greater synergy, coherence and coordination
between the special schools and the mainstream schools.

Govt. Schemes

The issue with regard to the various schemes implemented by the central and the
state Govts which call for brainstorming is whether and to what extent they are
implemented; and, whether they appropriately cater to the ground realities. It
would be a good idea to deliberate upon - a) modifications if required in the
existing schemes; and, b) the need for launching fresh initiatives and schemes.

Importance of technology

There is no denying the fact that advancement in the field of science and
technology has thrown open floodgates of knowledge for the blind. Therefore,
every possible effort has to be made to exploit to the optimum the benefits
accruing from advancement in technology. The biggest challenge here is to
address the digital divide between the urban blind and the rural blind. This
brings us to the need of making the assistive devices and assistive
technologies available, affordable, accessible, acceptable and adaptable. It is
exceedingly disturbing to observe that in some quarters, Braille is pitted
against technological advancements; and, the importance of Braille is
shamelessly downplayed. To them, I wish to say that in the first place, Braille
itself could well be considered to be the bi-product of technology. Secondly,
technological advancements have significantly contributed to improving the
speed, output and quality of Braille production; so much so that today we have
what we call pa
 perless Braille. A lover of Braille that I happen to be, I feel that a sense
of intimacy with a book or a document which Braille ensures is simply
incomparable. Apart from a feeling of connectedness with the book, Braille also
ensures better sense of spelling and punctuation.

Relevant international instruments and national legislative framework

At the national level, specific provisions relating to education of persons
with disabilities including the blind exist in chapter V of the PWD Act, and
also in the  RTE Act. The national policy on persons with disabilities, 2006
also gives some idea of the Govt's perspective. Article 41 of the Constitution
of India under Directive Principles of State Policy also refers, among others,
to 'disablement' in the context of education and public assistance, etc.
Subsequently, since right to education has been made a fundamental right
available to all the citizens of India, it applies to blind citizens in equal
measure. Moreover, the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, currently
pending with Rajya Sabha also contains elaborate provisions relating to
education.

At the international level, the UNCRPD vide Article 24 seeks to make elaborate
provisions on right to education. At the Asia and Pacific regional level, the
Incheon strategy "To Make the right Real" also contains early intervention and
education as one of the ten goals to be achieved by 2022. Moreover, while at
the national level the amendments brought about in the Copyright Act is a
significant step in the right direction, the adoption of the Marrakesh  treaty
by WIPO will have far-reaching impact. Such positive move goes a long way in
ensuring hassle-free reproduction of books that are already in the public
domain in accessible formats without one having to run from pillar to post to
obtain permission of the copyright holder for this purpose.

One important issue to be deliberated upon could be identification of areas of
conflict if any, between the provisions of the PWD Act and the RTE Act. Another
aspect worthy of examination is to see if there is any incompatibility between
the provisions of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill and the
corresponding provisions of the UNCRPD. One is also tempted to ask if there are
any inconsistencies between the RTE Act and the RPD Bill currently pending with
 the Rajya Sabha? What are the gaps/deficiencies in the guidelines/instructions
issued under the RTEAct in relation to children with disabilities?

Role of AICB in promoting education of the blind

Ever since the All-India Confederation of the blind saw the light of the day,
education of the blind has been high on its agenda. Over the years, it has
undertaken advocacy and policy influencing work on education of the blind, has
created demonstrable models or for that matter, islands of excellence both
through its institution-oriented programme as well as its outreach programmes,
and also  undertaken useful research studies beside promoting merit and
excellence by incentivizing blind students in a number of ways. I wish to
express the confidence that the Confederation will consolidate its existing
interventions and will further expand its work in the days ahead.

To my mind, the challenge before the confederation is to work towards ensuring
that the initiatives launched by it are replicated on a large scale so that the
islands of excellence created by it do not just keep floating around on the
ocean of mediocrity.

Conclusion

All said and done, the biggest challenge for all the stakeholders to my mind,
is to reach out to the poorest of the poor amongst the blind. Swami Vivekananda
once said, "so long as the teeming millions of India continue to reel under
abject poverty, I hold every educated man a traitor, who having been educated
at their expense pays not the least heed to them".

It is also highly crucial that we encourage innovative and imaginative ideas
and out-of-the-box thinking to flow in; but while doing so, we must exercise
caution to ensure that there is no mismatch between passion and pragmatism.
Adopt the approach that serves the best educational needs and interests of
students with blindness.

Further, we need to work towards ensuring that the professionals and
policy-makers are rightly oriented in a manner that they develop a positive
mindset, shed the age-old clientele and condescending approach and agree to
work with us the blind as partners on equal terms.

I wish to conclude with some lines which I happened to chance upon when I was a
college going youngster and which have since stayed with me: "The principal
goal of education is to create men who are capable of doing new things; and not
simply of repeating what other generations have done; men who are creative,
inventive and discoverers". So, let us get going accordingly. Happy
deliberations! Thank you.

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.