We need more of such reports documented. This man is very indebted to
his other sighted classmates. And amidst breaks he keeps on sitting
and the rest go on hangouts. Can we know more of such experiences?
social life in universities?
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/i-am-worried-about-the-future/article7802412.ece

A day in the life of Ashish Kumar, a student of Delhi University, is
pretty much like any other college student — going to college in the
morning, spending time with friends, visiting the library and then
going back to the hostel. The only difference is that Ashish is
visually impaired.

So, while his other classmates living in the hostel with him wake up
at 8-30 a.m. for an 8-40 a.m. class and rush to their classes, Ashish
wakes up much earlier. “I take more time to get ready, so I get up
before everyone else does,” he says.

At college, he has friends to help him climb stairs and get him to his
classroom. After each lecture, there is a 10-minute break. Everyone
else goes down to the hang-out area to grab a cup of coffee or catch
up with friends while Ashish sits in the classroom alone.
Occasionally, some friends give him company and they discuss books and
course topics.

“My classmates have been really nice to me. I couldn’t have asked for
more,” he says.

After the lectures end, a group of boys and girls usually head towards
the canteen. They take Ashish along with them and the youngsters spend
about an hour discussing random topics from movies to books to
teachers.

If he has an assignment, Ashish heads to the Braille section of the library.

By evening, he is usually done with his study schedule for the day and
just wants to relax and talk to his parents in Patna.

To do that, he picks up his phone and uses the voice command to dial
home. With his phone on the voice command option, he says – “dial
home”.

That is how he usually wraps up his day, chatting with his mother, who
keeps worrying about him.

On a concluding note, Ashish says that as long as he is a student he
is not worried, because he still finds people who are ready to help
him. But, he adds, “I am worried about the future when I get into the
professional world, it’s really difficult to find good people in the
practical world, out there.”

--
Avinash Shahi