From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Aaruni Sharma
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 2:28 PM
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled. <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Subject: Re: [AI] Anybody using Ausion?

Hi Pranab, thanks for your detailed explanation. Actually I want this device
primarily for my college use. I no the environmental settings but feel the need
for something which would alert me of people standing in the corridors. I must
admit that I find the walking stick unsuitable because
often there is a chance of bumping into somebody   and I find the stick
obtrusive. Echo location is a good thing but there is not much chance of
acquiring advanced capability without a proper expert guidance. I also find
walking in a straight line quite challenging and I am interested to know how
Ausion can help.
Thanks,

On 12 December 2015 at 07:25, Pranav Lal <pranav....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aaruni,
>
> The Ausion is similar to the K-sonar though at a fraction of the cost.
> It is primarily meant for above chest level obstacles. You hold the
> device in your hand and scan your environment. I am planning to order
> it for testing. I have the IIT device. Again, you need to scan your
> environment and you get tactile feedback in terms of different
> vibration patterns based on distance. In most tactile based systems,
> you do not get a sense of texture. You may get this in the ausion and
> in the K-Sonar because they support continuous scanning and can better
> render texture information using sound.
>
> The question though is what do you mean by better mobility? If it is
> detecting drop offs and steps, there appears to be nothing to match
> the white cane.
> The
> EyeCane may have a fighting chance but I do not know if it is
> commercially available. If you navigate in office spaces, then the
> smart cane and the ausion may work just as well.
>
> The thing with any aid using ultrasound is that it does not answer the
> question "what." You know something is there but you need to build a
> database of sound patterns to identify the obstacle. However, if you
> take something like the vOICe, it will tell you what you are looking
> at but it is not particularly good at rendering distance information.
> As of this writing, you need to combine sensory substitution devices
> and ultrasound based devices for the best mobility experience. For the
> vOICe, you could use your Android phone or grab a dedicated unit from
> http://www.after-sight.com/
>
> This is probably more than you wanted to know but mobility aides are
> an interest of mine and something that I am exploring actively.
>
> Pranav
>

> Register at the dedicated AccessIndia list for discussing
> accessibility of mobile phones / Tabs on:

> essindia.org.in

> .in

> veracity;

Thanks and regards,
aruni Sharma.
Associate Professor, Dept. of Political Science, JNPG College, Lucknow, India.
twitter: www.twitter.com/arunisharma
facebook: www.facebook.com/arunisharma
Skype: arunisha...@outlook.com

rg.in