Modi means well by suggesting the term divyang for the disabled but
can you beat bias with better words?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/sunday-times/deep-focus/For-disabled-divyang-equals-charity/articleshow/50421459.cms?
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently suggested that people with
disabilities be called "divyang", he may have had the best intentions.
The word invests bodies with holiness (sacred body), rather than the
harsh "vikalang" (deformed body).

But many in the disability community agree that "divyang" is an epic
fail. Much like Gandhi's use of the word "harijan", it is imposed by a
seemingly benevolent outsider, it is condescending to those it
describes. The word "Dalit" on the other hand, chosen by them, builds
an assertive politics and community.

"We don't want charity, we are equal citizens," says Malini Chib, an
activist and writer now working at TCS, London, whose experience of
living with cerebral palsy inspired last year's film 'Margarita, with
a Straw'. A person with a disability is not just trying to fight
stigma, but also the sentimentality of others. They are not trying to
be inspiring or heroic, they want their due from an ableist world.
While the right term in Hindi needs to be found, "divyang is an
oversimplifying and patronising word," says Neelam Jolly, founder of
Vishwas, a school for children with disabilities.

Modi was, in fact, giving voice to an old fallacy - that the disabled
were somehow touched with divinity. Think of the Greek epics, where
disability is a mark of transgression, and also endowed with
compensating powers, like the blind seer Tiresias. Whether
Dhritarashtra or Sakuni, disability has negative connotations in the
Mahabharata. Research in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu in the early
2000s showed that it was commonly considered a "divine curse" across
rural and urban India.

Through the centuries, there have been great changes in the way
disability is perceived - from anxious curiosity to exclusion to pity
to remedy - but only recently has it moved to how disabilities are
internally experienced. "Nothing about us without us" is a memorable
slogan of the disability rights movement. "Whether divyang or anything
else is not the point. It is that people who are disabled should
choose the words they want," says Amba Salelkar, activist and lawyer.
There are other problems with divyang - "it erases the entire gamut of
disabilities that aren't visible, like mental illnesses", she points
out.

Why words matter

People with little experience of exclusion often say, "Oh, I can't
keep up with this politically correct terminology", as though they're
passing fashions rather than a movement towards equality and
recognition. The women's movement, anti-caste movement, racial
minorities and other groups have always fought biased words with
better words. They know that language subtly shapes thought.

Sometimes, it is the weight of historical associations rather than the
inherent offensiveness of the word that make it intolerable. "My
grandfather was colored, my father was Negro, I am black," wrote the
American academic Henry Louis Gates Jr, describing a century of
transition. Though it is still used, studies prove that the word
"black" still evokes negative perceptions compared to
"African-American".

Sometimes, the insult is blatant - as when the word "gay" or "lame" or
"retard/tard" are used as pejoratives. Other times, the prejudice is
implicit; like the word "handicapped", which renders someone a passive
victim, a recipient of the world's help. In some cases, hurtful words
can be reclaimed by those they once insulted, turned over and worn
with pride, like "queer". In some US disability circles, some use the
word "crip" - as in crip theory and activism - but it is decidedly not
used by others.

Enabling change

Disability was once seen as an individual "illness". Now, it is seen
as a social and political problem, says Mithu Alur,
founder-chairperson of the Spastics Society of India, now called
ADAPT. The focus is on how the world treats persons with disability,
whether it disparages them as a problem that needs "solving", or
validates and accommodates them. Removing hurdles - in attitudes, in
buildings and cities, in school, work and state policy - would enable
everyone. Assistive technology gives a blind person the same
opportunities as a sighted person, accessible pavements remove
mobility constraints. "We are not touched by god, we are oppressed by
society and its lack of infrastructure," says Chib.

"Of course the word divyang doesn't understand this paradigm shift,
but nor do most people now scoffing at the word," says Salelkar.
"These are the same people who would do ultrasound scans to abort
babies with Down syndrome," she says. Seeking to eliminate the chances
of a disabled child is also an attempt to "normalise", to erase
"variety and vulnerability from the world", as the writer Andrew
Solomon puts it.

At some point in life, we are all likely to be disabled in certain
aspects - from seeing road signs, from climbing stairs, from feeding
or dressing ourselves with ease. As disability scholar Tobin Siebers
writes, "The cycle of life runs in actuality from disability to
temporary ability back to disability, and that only if you are among
the most fortunate." A world that makes room for our needs is in
everybody's interest.

--
Avinash Shahi

Celebrating Louis Braill birthday, Jan. 4th.