What possibly can be more disabling than the inability to see a
person as more? The question posed long ago by Robert M Hansel, a
Guinness World Record holder for the longest non-stop wheelie in a
wheelchair, has come around once again to haunt the concerns of an
Indian director, Bejoy Nambiar, who is gearing up for his Amitabh
Bachchan-Farhan Akhtar-starrer film, Wazir. His recent statements
about “limiting” Amitabh Bachchan in a wheelchair, sparked anger,
evoking strong reactions and a demand for apology on Tuesday after
Disability rights activist Javed Abidi condemned his remarks. Though
the team of Wazir with Nambiar, as well as the film’s co-writers Vidhu
Vinod Chopra and Abhijat Joshi have apologised, and clarified that “no
malice” was ever intended, it raises many questions related to the way
issues related with disability and the disabled are shown in
Bollywood. Nambiar said, “I have no clue (about the issue)...that’s
the character he’s (Amitabh is) playing... what is so wrong in what
I’m saying?”
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/life-style/the-disabling-act/180131.html
Mind your language
 Our problem is not with the film, nor do we have any issues with the
film showing a disabled person, but the fact that Bejoy says “Limited
to a wheelchair”, “Confined to wheelchair” and “Wheelchair-ridden” is
very derogatory. Anyone who knows English decently, would know that
the word has a connotation to ‘bed-ridden’. However, I do feel that
the modern-day cinema deals with the issue of disability more
sensitively than the movies in 80s and 90s, with villains shown as
blind from one eye or walks with a limp. Even that could be spared
since the director has artistic licence of a director, but there’s no
excuse for the remarks used by Bejoy.
Watch out: I like Sparsh and Taare Zameen Par.
 Javed Abidi, Disability rights activist

Wheels of change
 At the outset, I congratulate the Bollywood fraternity for showcasing
the lives of persons with disabilities in lead characters. But, I feel
one’s personality doesn’t get limited in a wheelchair as it is a mere
equipment to enhance one’s independent mobility. Generally wheelchair
is perceived negatively by the society rather than being a symbol of
mobility and independence. That needs to change.
Sminu Jindal, founder of Svayam & MD Jindal SAW Ltd.

Pay no heed
 We work with little kids and we don’t make them feel any different
from other kids. I don’t think such frivolous comments should be
entertained. Also, we teach them to not be affected by what people
say. If someone wears specs or is on wheelchair, ideally, people
should not comment on them. Even in movies, we see that the villain is
blind of one eye or a comic character limps, which gives a negative
shade to the disabled. We, at our foundation, are working in close
quarters with Gulzar since last 30 years, who writes for us. In fact,
our anthem is “Aasman kholo ek aur aasmaan hai”.
Watch out: I like Koshish (1972), Taare Zameen Par, Iqbal, Dosti (1964)
 Anil Mudgal from Arushi, volunteer organisation for disabled

Words that hurt
 I often hear people using words like “wheelchair bound” and “confined
to wheelchair”, which is are quite derogatory. Words like these
highlight ones intention to narrow down one’s horizons. Every
individual is limitless. And not only is this bias evident in the
films, but also in our Hindu Dharm Granths, where Manthra, a daasi in
Ramayana was referred as ‘kubhri’ and even shakuni maama for that
matter. Also, in Himachal, mostly it is considered inauspicious to see
a disabled person in the morning, just at the start of the day.
Watch out: I like the way films like Black, and Taare Zameen Par deals
with the issue of disability.
 Ajai shrivastava, chairman of Umang Foundation

Being inhuman
 I feel such a comment is inhuman. It seems like Bejoy is living on
different planet.
 I feel that wherever the effort has been there, filmmakers have
treated the matter of disability with much sensitivity. The fact that
they have taken up the issue of disability is brilliant and
applaud-worthy.
Watch out: I like Margarita with a straw, Taare Zameen Par, and Sparsh
 AK Dua, Disha—Harbringer of Social Change, city-based NGO

amar...@tribunemail.com

--
Avinash Shahi

Celebrating Louis Braill birthday, Jan. 4th.