From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
avinash shahi
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 10:57 AM
To: accessindia; jnuvision
Subject: [AI] Important: Ministers proposed to drop the Disability Commission
from the new proposed disability law TEENA THACKAR

Though this shocking news is there in the AsianAge today, However the
source is not cited clearly. Should we wait?
http://www.asianage.com/india/mental-illness-out-new-law-disability-189

In what could be a huge blow to the disability movement, the Narendra
Modi government is planning to keep out “mental illness” from the
ambit of the long-delayed law planned on disabilities.

Reliable sources said that under the proposed Rights of Persons with
Disabilities Bill 2014, now being considered by a Group of Ministers
under the chairmanship of home minister Rajnath Singh, the ministers
have recommended that mental illness should be left to the health
ministry as “mental illness is a disease, and not a disability”.

“The present government is of the view that mental illness is not a
disability and is a health issue, and therefore it should be out of
the ambit of the proposed law and the health ministry should be
dealing with it,” a source said. However, across the world mental
illness is considered as a disability, in fact the accepted term to
describe the set of ailments is “psycho-social disabilities”.

While there was no national policy on disabilities till the 1990s, the
Persons with Disabilities Act was passed only in 1995. It recognised
seven types of disabilities, including mental retardation and mental
illness. However, the 1995 Act failed to spell out the protection
needed for people with mental illness and the mentally retarded.

Significantly, aiming to protect people with disabilities against
discrimination, the proposed bill was drafted in 2013-2014. Among many
changes that the new draft bill proposes to make are an expansion of
the list of disabilities from seven to 19, and an increase in job
reservations for persons with disabilities from three per cent to five
per cent.

However, according to sources, the government is also considering
cutting short 19 disabilities from the proposed law and excluding or
clubbing conditions like thalassemia, sickle cell disease, helophilia,
multiple sclerosis. At a recent meeting, ministers have also proposed
to drop the Disability Commission from the new proposed disability
law, sources further added.

The talk about a possible dilution of the proposed law has got
activists quite concerned, and they are now planning to approach Prime
Minister Narendra Modi with their concerns. Activists believe these
changes in the draft will be a huge loss to the disability movement
and it will take the country back to the pre-1995 age. “The
legislation is supposed to be in line with India’s ratification of the
United Nations Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
that was adopted by the General Assembly in 2006. But if such changes
are made in the proposed bill, India’s disability movement will be at
a huge loss,” an activist said on condition of an

--
Avinash Shahi