From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Amiyo Biswas
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2016 10:14 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Refund of Excise duty on purchase of cars by physically
handicapped persons.

It may be helpful to some of our friends.
Source:
http://taxguru.in/excise-duty/refund-excise-duty-purchase-cars-physically-ha
ndicapped-persons-reg.html

The text is quoted below my signature.

With best regards,
Amiyo Biswas
Cel: 9433464329

Circular No. 1015/3/2016-CX

F.No.268/8/2015-CX-8
 Government of India
 Ministry of Finance
 Department of Revenue
 Central Board of Excise & Customs

New Delhi, Dated: 3rd February, 2016

Principal Chief Commissioner/Chief Commissioner of Central Excise, Customs
and Service Tax (All)

Principal Commissioner of Central Excise, Customs and Service Tax (holding
charge of Chief Commissioner) (All)

Web Master, CBEC

Madam/Sir

handicapped persons- reg.

Attention is invited to SI. No 280 of Notification No. 12/2012-CE dated
17.03.2012 vide which concessional rate of duty has been provided for
purchase of Cars by physically handicapped persons.

2. References have been received in the Board from intended beneficiaries
that there have been instances where refund applications filed beyond one
year from purchase of vehicle, have been rejected as they were hit by
limitation under Section 11B of the Central Excise Act, 1944. Reason for
such delay has been claimed in some cases as delay in procuring certificate
from the line Ministry as prescribed in the notification, confirming the
said goods are capable of being used by the physically handicapped persons.

3. In this regard, to ameliorate such situations it is directed that when a
handicapped person approaches the Central Excise office for refund of duty
paid on the vehicle, he should be advised that refund application should be
filed within one year of payment of duty, irrespective of availability of
certificate from the Line Ministry so that such claims are not time barred.
The Officer processing the refund in turn should issue a deficiency memo, if
the said certificate is not available. On submission of the Certificate,
refund can be processed and sanctioned. Interest would be payable only for
period beyond three months from submission of the complete application with
the certificate from the Line Ministry.

4.  Wide publicity may be given to this Circular. Difficulty, if any, in
implementing the circular should be brought to the notice of the Board.
Hindi version would follow.

Shankar Prasad Sarma

Under Secretary (CX.8

ia.org.in