Vaibhav,

I have been working in the area of Accessibility for about 10+ years and as
per my experience below qualities and knowledge should help someone become
an accessibility professional.

1. Understand Web Content Accessibility Guidelines [WCAG] 2.0 (
http://w3.org/TR/WCAG20/
2. Learn to use automated testing tools like WAVE (http://wave.webaim.org),
aXe by Deque (http://deque.com/products/axe
3. Learn use of assistive technologies such as Screen readers. I prefer
using NVDA
4. Develop aptitude towardings thinking beyond blindness and disabilities.
Accessibility is not just about disabilities.
5. Understand technologies like HTML, CSS, JavaScript
6. Learn and understand ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications). This
is important for modern technologies today.
7. Learn to use debugging tools like Firebug etc.,
8. Understand developer language; it's important to write a technical
report while reporting accessibility bugs.

And finally be passionate about accessibility. Also, one needs to
understand that accessibility bugs will not get addressed over-night. We
need to provide a workable approach to product managers and developers.

Hope this helps a bit.
Best,
Srinivasu

Regards,

Srinivasu Chakravarthula - Twitter: http://twitter.com/CSrinivasu/
Website: http://www.srinivasu.org | http://serveominclusion.com

Let's create an inclusive web!

Lead Accessibility Consultant, Informatica
Hon. Joint Secretary, The National Association for the Blind, Karnataka
Branch